What Would You Like to See in a Chao Garden Inspired Project?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 2 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Vis_Mage
Egg
Egg

What Would You Like to See in a Chao Garden Inspired Project?

Post by Vis_Mage »

Hey there! :)

I was wondering if I could perhaps get a few opinions and suggestions for a heavily Chao-inspired project that I am working on. (I hope this is OK to post here, not really trying to advertise)

It isn't a Chao/Sonic fan game, instead containing a completely new story/world/characters/assets/etc, but has been very mechanically inspired by Chao. In fact, for the past few years, I've been working on an RPG project, and similar to how the Adventure games essentially have an entire sub-game inter-weaved in them with the Chao Garden, I'm hoping to do something very similar. I'm even strongly considering having a more standalone version for those who are just interested in the Chao-based gameplay, for PC and Mobile.

I haven't quite finalized the design for the little fellas that you'd raise, but I've been calling them Chuppo thus far in development. I'll update the thread with a picture of their design once I get it fully figured out, but they're round, fluffy, and cute little friends, that much like Chao, have a pretty simple design, so that the different traits that they receive are easy to see.

But how would you go about getting the equivalent of rings/animals/drives? In the version tied with the RPG, you can collect these while out adventuring, but what about the standalone version? Or what if you'd just rather get all these things within the garden itself? And there in lies the biggest change to the traditional Chao experience. Because in addition to the typical races, karate, and other simpler mini-games, there's also a grander role for your Chuppo to fulfill, as the game is also a Dungeon Crawler, with your little buddies being the ones dealing with the baddies, and looking for loot.

In the Dungeon Crawling portion of the game, you take command of up to 4 of your Chuppo, and explore a seemingly endless labyrinth. Near the entrance of the cave is a massive sealed door, surrounded by 18 pedestals. What could be behind that sealed door? Endless fortune? A world-ending evil? Perhaps a golden Chuppo egg? Well, that's for you to find out!

How you raise your Chuppo will determine how they can aid you in the labyrinth. The stats you choose to raise them in will dictate their natural roles in combat. The alignment system has been overhauled, and can now grant the Chuppo an elemental type. You can even change the skills each of your Chuppo can use by giving them Baubles found during your adventures. Likewise, ingredients found in the labyrinth can be used to cook up some stat-boosting Gummies.

This turned out to be a lot longer than I had first expected, haha. Thank you to anyone who's made it this far. Let me know what you think of the outline thus far.

Likewise, if anyone would want to know more about the project, please do ask. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions. :)
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Re: What Would You Like to See in a Chao Garden Inspired Project?

Post by ChillyChao »

This sounds interesting. I'm no Chao expert and don't play Sonic games really at all anymore, but i'll try my best for some good suggestions.

For the stand alone version of the game, what about if you had little quests? Like feeding your Chuppo a certain amount of food or aging them up (if they can age)
And maybe you'd be able to find them from the Dungeon Crawling game? Like as little mini prizes as you explore? (like how in Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee you can get loads of items in Cerulean Cave, but the real end prize is catching Mewtwo)

Overall though, this looks really interesting. I'd love to see what the end product is when it eventually comes out.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing