Our first Extinct Chao / Endangered Species..?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Our first Extinct Chao / Endangered Species..?

Post by Mooncow »

So I was thinking about this... The Dreamcast Black Market for Sonic Adventure 2 had Chao available for Download using the built-in internet functionality.

Of course, now the online Black Market is no more. So these Chao are unobtainable!!

However I have some of these Chao in my Dreamcast Chao Garden - the Black Chao, Ruby, Sapphire and Moon Chao. I wonder how many of these official Chao exist out there? And how many are gone forever?

That said... Our resident Chao Research/Hack team have a way to make clones of the downloadable Chao (hopefully this doesn't create a Mewtwo scenario), so maybe there will be a Dreamcast Chao Island Black Market soon!
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: Our first Extinct Chao / Endangered Species..?

Post by chaoadventures »

Hm.

There's collection of backup Dreamcast games saves (including chao garden saves) that can be found here: http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/vmu/save/pub ... en&menu=on

It appears to not be functioning at the moment however, at least for me? Though a variety of saves are still viewable (specifically the ones in the "most popular" area), so I would imagine (and hope) it's more of an error in loading the page than the saves being lost (selecting SA2's section alone shows it should have 53 different saves so I doubt they just got deleted?).

It's kinda scary that some stuff could be lost to time, but also kind of neat that there's several genuinely rare chao breeds.
Also want to bring up that even if they're not archived at the moment, sometimes miracles do happen-- there was a set of SA1DC DLC that was only archived recently even though people thought it was lost.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.