Chao colors can be frustrating at times

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Frostav
Child Chao
Child Chao

Chao colors can be frustrating at times

Post by Frostav »

I basically play the garden solely for breeding colors and watching my creations after I've forced their parents to mate twelve times because PLEASE JUST GIVE ME A TWO-TONE ALREADY but there are some weird things about the colors--most specifically two-tones--that drive me up the wall

Firstly, some evolutions have base colors that dominate everything else. Dark Chao have this super bad because like 80% of their evolutions are just slightly-tinted black or, at best, mute the chao's color so much it's annoying. Like, wow, I love watching my green chao become a muted puke green when it turns into a dark chao, guys! And how can we forget that white dark chao are basically not white at all! There are a few others that have this problem as well like Neutral/Swim and Neutral/Power which put a green/orange respectively on most of the colors and it often clashes so horribly with the chao's actual color. Like go make a white two-tone Neutral/Power chao in the 3D viewer. It's literally a slightly lighter shade of orange and has white highlights. WHY ISN'T IT WHITE?! Or make a blue one, and wonder why on earth the gorgeous blue of your baby chao is now puke green, especially when it was mostly blue as a baby (had they actually kept those colors for the adult it would have looked nice). The neutral/fly and neutral/runs look okay but I can't really make any of my chao neutral/run because my horribly incestuous breeding practices mean basically all my chao have awful run grades but amazing swim and fly ones (I generally evolve a chao in a stat it has a good grade in) so I have THREE chao I'm going to make Neutral/Fly's in the same garden!

Secondly some colors cannot decide what they actually wanna be--blue two-tones randomly shift between blue/green and blue/more blue and blue/black(???????) as you go through the evolutions, pink two-tones are purple, red two-tones start out as a gorgeous maroon that they lose as they grow up, etc. There are a few chao I've bred that have lovely colors as babies that just completely shift to random bizarre combinations as they age. I have CWE with the mixing colors code on too and boy some of these combinations make no sense!

Ah, Chao. You mutable little butts. All of this is obviated if you breed for monotones except monotones look super boring because they just have one solid color and literally nothing else (I use them solely as breeding stock for the two-tones I actually want) >.<

The funny thing is all of this could be avoided too if Sonic Team simply had chao use their first allele's color as their base color and the second one's as their highlight color, meaning you could mix and match colors already and could get any combination of what you want. Even with CWE, stuff like a white chao with black highlights is just straight up not possible.
Mandymom
Child Chao
Child Chao

Re: Chao colors can be frustrating at times

Post by Mandymom »

Yes, I agree! Black just looks like a darkened version of the normal colors :chaocry: and blue twotones are UGLY as neutral. Green is boring, sometimes you can’t even tell they’re twotones! Red is also boring. And NO swim neutral looks good! We need a mod that gives twotones much better colors!
Liliawinx
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: Chao are the cutest beings ever

Post by Liliawinx »

I agree with white two-tones. But neutral fly looks cool.

Hero white two-tones are just like normal. Black and grey have nothing special. Red two-tones power look monotone except dark.
I think the weirdest are how some two-tones Chao are born not looking the color they are. Like orange being more brown, pink and purple are pretty much switched, brown is a ugly color and yellow and green are also switched.
Purple is pink as a hero and neutral too. Yeah, only normals or monotones neutral power look good.
I actually like monotones, but mostly shinies.

White chao with black highlights could be cool.
The_Awesome_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by The_Awesome_Chao »

I’m the opposite. I like dark two tones the most since it makes their base color really pop on their hands and feet or wherever their main markings are. Hero chaos are the opposite since they are always dominated by their base color and have very muted highlights if they aren’t lightly colored like white or sky blue chao. Also, I’m surprised no one here has realized that the colors for different chao breeds are made in an automated way. The highlights for white chao are the basis for everything (That’s right, white with highlights, not the evolution based color chao you start out with) that isn’t a uniform color, and then whatever color your chao breed is gets applied as a tint or a filter. Dark chao are mostly highlights with the transparent part being on the extremities (the part where a white chao with dynamic highlights is white) and hero chao are the opposite. For Neutral chao it depends, Fly, Normal, and Run are like Hero chao, Swim and power are a bit more like dark chao. I don’t like the effect as much on neutral swim and power though because unlike black, green and orange don’t always look awesome with any other color.