Should we be expecting a new Chao Garden?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Something0012
Egg
Egg

Should we be expecting a new Chao Garden?

Post by Something0012 »

My theory: No. Unless?

We haven't had a Chao Garden since Sonic Adventure 2 Battle in 2002. That's 18 years ago!

But, there might be a hope for something new. We've seen more and more appearances from Chao, and maybe that's Sega's way of saying "Get ready for something new!"
There isn't really proof besides that for a new Chao Garden. BUT, if Sega isn't going to please us, we'll make it ourselves!

That's why we have Chao fangames! I know there's a sprite-based one, but there aren't anymore I can think of. If you want to look for yourself just google "Chao Garden fangames". That should give you some options.
We also have mods for SA2 (The PC port)! The "Mods" section has Chao World Extended, in which you have to use the SA2 Mod Loader to actually use in-game. A quick google search should give you a download.

My final statement? Don't get too excited, but don't think that Chao are officially dead. We
have confirmation there are new Sonic games coming out in 2021, so stay tuned for any
announcements in 2021 (Or later this year).
Roaxes
Motto: HiYAA! ~ Link

Re: Should we be expecting a new Chao Garden?

Post by Roaxes »

I've said it on the discord server a million times, but my thoughts are, I really don't trust SEGA with a new chao garden. It's been far too long, and they may not fully understand it or why people liked it; and I fear what modern trends for monetization could toxify it.. I believe it's far better in the fans hands.
Which is what we get with "Chao Resort Island" fangame, and the Chao World Extended mod.
Heavily suggest joining Chao Islands discord server, most of the community reside there! https://chao-island.com/community/discord/
Chao Studios/Chao Island Tumblr
Steam
Main tumblr blog
LaDestitute
Egg
Egg
Motto: The following is true, the former is false

Post by LaDestitute »

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment here that SEGA shouldn't be trusted to handle the Chao Garden or even SA1/SA2 remakes but that's just me, anyway.

I mean, there's no harm in trying if SEGA intends to. There had been conjecture/suspicion in the fandom that SEGA was potentially teasing something (a Sonic Adventure remake?) but despite some otherwise very compelling evidence, most of it should be treated as hearsay until SEGA reveals the anniversary plans next year, which...isn't that far off, as far as three months are assumed. A bunch of the said hearsay said anyway, compiled by a Sonic subreddit Discord user named Ultraspeed7

However, in the prospect towards Chao returning and/or a remake of SA1, I want to point a rather...odd site that SEGA had registered. In 2019, the official Sonic Twitter made a mysterious tweet. The URL (quote: notthechaogardenblackmarket.com) shown in the tweet was a redirect and used to actually work but we can use some Wayback Machine 'magic' to get when the site was last archived and find the actual site it redirects to is still up.

Make whatever of that you will but that tweet/site alone is highly suspicious.
Chao31
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Chao31 »

I really wish for a chao garden but at the same time i worry for it...

SEGA might ruin the garden alot (forcing people to use fruits to gain swim, fly, run, power types, not adding anything new etc.)

Plus i am scared of the new ways they could allow people to abuse chao :herocry: :darkangry: :no:
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I wouldn't give up hope completely on a new Chao Garden because Sega, especially Sega of America, are evidentally very aware that the Chao Garden has it's fans. In fact, a lot of the American team grew up with Sonic themselves and because of that make a TON more references and callbacks to stuff like Chao and other Sonic stuff from that same era. I mean, just look at all of Tyson Hesse's animations from the past few years and the past decade of comics, because those are clearly the work of people who really care about the franchise and WANT to bring fan-favorite characters and features back. For that reason, I honestly think it would be awesome of they brought back Sonic Team USA (aka the old team behind SA2 and other Sonic games from the 2000s), combine them with the rest of the American team, and have them all collaborate on a game with a Chao Garden and other stuff that the fans clearly want. That's not to say that I don't think the Japanese team wouldn't do it, Takashi Izuka specifically has said a while ago that he wanted to remake Sonic Adventure again, so it's still in the realm of possibility.

In short, I still wouldn't get my hopes up too much, but I also wouldn't give up on them completely because I know there are definitely people at Sega who want to bring it back and do it right.
Nostalgia Ninja
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: Join the Wiki Team today!

Post by Nostalgia Ninja »

Considering recent events and the fact that Sega have been putting up a quite a few Chao-related stuff over the year (Chao in Space Merch, the recent IDW Comic cover that has a Chao Race, as well as various Chao-related Tweets), it's kind of hard to tell if these callbacks are specifically for Chao themselves or a remake of the Chao System. It's been a good 16 years since Chao have had a Chao Garden (SEGA Superstars), so for the Sonic Twitter to be putting up so many callbacks to Tikal, Chao, and Chaos in particular seems to line up with them resurrecting older IPs. (It took 13-14 years for the Western Puyo Puyo drought to end, and has subsequently been released days to weeks within Japanese releases. We're getting remasters of Monster World titles, as well as a new Alex Kidd game.)

While I'm saying it's all too suspicious and coincidental, I don't think we should expect a new Chao Garden. The demand for it is there, sure, but I don't know what the percentage of the demand is. Chao are pretty niche and therefore it's hard to tell if Sega have plans for the Chao system (or if they're going to make a new Chao system to begin with).

That being said, there's been a few concerns about a new Chao system. At this point in time, Chao World Extended pretty much is a feature-rich version of the Chao Gardens with dials to cater the game to our needs, and when a new Chao system comes around, I feel that Sega might make a more faithful to vanilla Chao Garden, but what sacrifices and what system changes will be made? Will players accept a downgrade from Chao World Extended, an extensive mod that has changed the way that people play with Chao? Either way, the Wiki Team will be ready for if a new Chao Garden game gets released.
Last edited by Nostalgia Ninja on Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Wrong place to put a mention of last Chao Garden
Join the Chao Island Wiki team today! All information and assistance is welcomed. :chaohappy:
edcolley
Egg
Egg

Post by edcolley »

SEGA might ruin the garden a lot.
pancholito
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by pancholito »

Chao certainly aren't dead from an official perspective in terms of usage in marketing material, I'm sure Sega realizes that cute characters with simple designs have the potential to sell like hotcakes under the right conditions. Will there be a new angle anytime soon for a Chao Garden? No, I agree with OP. if nothing else, fan games are there to fill the hole that Sega refuses to fill.

Really silly honestly that so many years have passed and there hasn't been an adequate continuation of the Chao Garden concept, seems like a no brainer to further the longevity of these games. I'm sure something as average as Sonic Forces would have benefitted from the addition of it.