Chao Grandparents

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
resetwes
Egg
Egg

Chao Grandparents

Post by resetwes »

So today I did an experiment on how chao stats are determined from chao babies spawned by parents. I found some anomalies that I couldn't quite explain, but out of a series of tests, I found some data on the Chao Island site is somewhat inaccurate.

Newly made infant chao do have randomized stats based off of their parents, but did you know that the grandparents also have an effect? While trying to get a chao with stats of S, A, A, A, A, (swim, fly, run, power, stamina) I found that there were a surprising number of different iterations of this chao infant. I found that out of ~30 attempts I was able to get the following possible stats in this chao baby: (if someone asks, I will provide the raw data)

Swim: S, A, and D
Fly: A, C, and E
Run: A, B and D
Power: A, B, and D
Stamina: A, C, and E

(The theoretical S, A, A, A, A stats for this chao were achieved for the record)

These were the stats of the Chao's Parents:

Parent 1: D, A, A, A, A This chao's stats came from two other chao and had its stamina stat increased through neutral evolution from B to A
Parent 2: S, E, D, B, C This chao hatched from an orange Egg in the black market with an A in the swim stat and the S came through swim evolution

Based off of the current information on the website, the only theoretical versions of this chao are based exclusively on the parents stats and should only come out to

Swim: S,D
Fly: A, E
Run: A, D
Power: A, B
Stamina: A, C

So where did these additional stat options come from? I suggest that there is actually a few additional factors that impact the possible stat changes we get from chao made from parents. I submit that the GRANDPARENTS also effect the possible outcomes for the chao.

The stats for parent 1 mentioned above were created from two previous chao parents that were both hatched from eggs. Their Stats are the following:

Grandparent 1: D, C, A, A, E This chao went through a power evolution leveling its power stat from B to A
Grandparent 2: D, A, B, D, B This chao went through a fly evolution leveling its fly stat from B to A

If we take our original newborn chao and generate stats based on both the parents and its grandparents we find the possibilites are now:

Swim: S, D
Fly: A, C, E
Run: A, B, D
Power: A, B, D
Stamina: A, C, E, B

So during the 30 test of the grandchild chao, I found two oddities from my expected outcomes.

1) The Swim stat did Produce A ranks
2) The Stamina Stat never produced a B rank

I'm not sure how to explain where these stat's came from, and I am currently doing experiments with a new chao saved data to try and account for these anomalies.

I guess the A rank Swim stat could have come from the Swim evolution Parent 2 went through to give the newborn A as a possibility

I don't have a theory for why the B stat in stamina never turned up. If I had to throw something together, It would be that the stat possibilities are limited to 3 but I'm not sure to be honest.

Any feedback on what is going on from others who have tried this would be greatly appreciated because I really want to know what the deal is here!

Thanks!!
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: Chao Grandparents

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Like most, if not all, inheritable traits, a Chao inherits a stat grade gene from each parent. However, each Chao has three possible genes they can pass down for each stat grade.

Basically, for each stat grade, a Chao has three slots for alleles:
-The one inherited from their first parent, which I'll abbreviate P1
-The one inherited from the secon parent, which I'll call P2
-The one representing their actual grade, which I'll call AG.

For startere eggs and Black Market eggs P1 and P2 are set to the same and AG is copied from them.
For bred Chao P1 is randomly chosen from the first parents P1, P2, or AG, and P2 is randomly chosen from the second parents P1, P2, or AG. the child's AG is then randomly selected from the inherited P1 or P2.
P1 and P2 are fixed, but AG increases by 1 every time the Chao evolves into the corresponding type.

If a store bought Chao starts with B in a given stat, but through evolution and reincarnation increases to an S in that stat, it will have a 2/3 chance of passing down the B-rank and a 1/3 chance of passing down the S-rank.

If a bred Chao inherits an A from parent 1 and a B from Parent 2, it'll either end up as
A B A
or
A B B

with a fifty-fifty chance. If the A B A then evolves into the corrrsponding type, becoming A B S in the process, it'll have a 1/3 chance each of passing down an A, B, or S.

In the extreme example of breeding a Chao with A, B, S and E, D, C, the child could end up with any of AE, AD, AC, BE, BD, BC, SE, SD, or SC for the inherited alleles, each of thos nine pairs have a fifty-fifty chance of either being assigned to the child's AG.

In the examples you give, the Store bought Chao can only pass down either the stat grades they originally hatched with or the stat grades they achieved through evolution, but the parent who is the child of the grand parents could potentially have inherited different P1 and P2 values from the Grandparents, one of which would've determined its starting stat grades, the other which would remain hidden, but which could be passed down.

I haven't done the full genetic calculus on your sample gene pool, but if the B in Stamina originates with one of the grandparents, it's possible bred parent didn't inherit the B and thus couldn't pass it down.

Also, a few extra notes:

Store bought Chao on their first life will breed true except on the stat corresponding to their type, which will have a 2/3 chance of passing down their original grade instead of their current one and a 1/3 chance of passing down their current grade.
No matter how many times a store bought Chao reincarnates and gains stat grade improvements, it will always be more likely to pass down it's original grades instead of its current grades(e.g. a store bought Chao that was originall all E's and what raised to be all S's will have a 2/3 chance of passing down an E over an S).
No matter how mixed up it's genes are, a first life bred Chao is more likely to pass down its displayed grades than it's hidden inherited grades. The exception is
the grade for the stat corresponding to its type.
A bred Chao that has reincarnated and gotten grade upgrades in several stats can potentially pass down either its current grade, original grade, or a hidden grade inherited from a parent.

So, grand parents play a role in determining the stat grades of grand children, but not because the game keeps track of pedigrees, but simply because the intermediate generation can carry inherited, but unexpressed genes, similar to recessive genes in real life. Admittedly, it doesn't help that Stat Grades are a bit Lamarkian(the ability to inherit stat grade upgrades) when most other aspects of Chao genetics follow an almost purely Mendelian model.