Unofficial Sonic Adventure 2 Dreamcast Black Market Chao

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 6 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Unofficial Sonic Adventure 2 Dreamcast Black Market Chao

Post by UltimaNumber »

For a great while, the Dreamcast version of Sonic Adventure 2 was never really looked into until recent days, and even so it consists of I as the primary researcher of the Dreamcast games. While taking research upon pretty much all of the Chao Garden games really, I wanted to see how much resources I could get my hands on. My biggest interest now is looking at event Chao, and downloadable Chao. This is where we get into Sonic Adventure 2's Online Black Market.

The Black Market is a page on the Sonic Adventure 2 website you could visit using your Dreamcast's Internet. On it, you could download special breeds of Chao (and the only other breeds of Chao that isn't "Normal"), such as Black, Gold, Silver, Amethyst, Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald, and the unique Moon Chao. Many of these Chao required some amount of Emblems to download on your VMU, as well as not having a minigame downloaded onto your VMU.

Not having a Dreamcast, SA2DC, or anything else, I still wanted to get these Chao somehow. If you wanted to get these Chao playing on an Emulator for example, what you can do to get these Chao files is to download the VMI file, go to your downloads page, copy the link you got the VMI file from, and just replace VMI and VMS. You'll have the pair necessary for the memory card. You can then use a VMU tool to import this into your emulated VMU.

I took a look at these Chao and...they're nothing more than a starter Chao that got some affection from Sonic, brought into Chao Adventure 2, then slapped the situated color or jewel for it. That's it. The Moon Chao is where I grew suspicious. The official Moon Chao as you're aware always looks the same no matter what it turns into. Well, that's probably your thoughts even knowing nothing about Dreamcast. From very scarce and low quality screenshots of the Moon Chao in action on the Dreamcast, you can see it stays the same.

The Moon Chao I have doesn't do that. It changes colors depending on what Type it is, like a Monotone Normal! Here's the Run Chao again for comparison.

I have asked around and the one person who remembered downloading these Chao in 2010 had told me that for the Gold Chao, it changes colors but leaving the Chao Garden fixes this. HOWEVER, this *only* applies to Chao that hatched from Eggs, most commonly seen from transferring Chao from Sonic Adventure! None of the Chao I had downloaded from Dreampipe - the archived SA2 site - were eggs! I tried looking for more sources to confirm anything about the Online Black Market, and the only thing I found was a GameFAQs Chao Guide that stated: "In order to get many of these eggs, you must have a certain number of emblems in your SA2 save file, and 6 free blocks of memory on your VMU." Also, only 6 Blocks. The official Black Market Page is shown that downloading these Chao are supposed to take only 6 Blocks, where the archived site needs 128, because it gives you Chao Adventure 2 with the Chao on it.

It's also worth noting, but in case it isn't obvious, you can't breed these Chao to get more of them. Not even if you bred two of the same Chao.

If anyone has any more info regarding the official Chao, the official Black Market site, or dare I ask, a download of one or all of these Chao that hasn't reached the Chao garden yet (or just the downloads from the official site somehow), this would be groundbreaking. If I have the info, I'll be sure to share about it!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs