What would Chao taste like?

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 2 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Who actually reads these?

What would Chao taste like?

Post by Londi »

Forget the moral implications for a moment and just answer the question

What would a Chao taste like if you cooked it up and ate it? Would they come in different flavours depending on alignment, type, etc? What would they even be made of? Chao are rather squishy, and I've heard someone throw out the idea that they probably feel like pudding (though I can't remember where exactly I heard this).

What do you think they taste like? Do you think in the Sonic universe they also farm Chao for consumption same way we do with livestock?
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Re: What would Chao taste like?

Post by AugustChao »

Since Chao gain attributes from animals simply by touching them, I wouldn't be surprised if the same also applies to stuff like food, causing them to taste like whatever it is they last ate (which for most Chao would probably be fruit). Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Cheese and Chocola tasted like Cheese and Chocolate :3

As for whether or not anyone in Sonic's world would raise them with the intent of eating them, on one hand I'd say no because Chao Gardens seem like a thing that a lot of people in their world know about and use to raise Chao, so they probably wouldn't like the idea of eating them, but on the other hand, Sonic and everyone else doesn't seem to have any issues eating stuff like Chili Dogs, so it's hard to tell.
Eru
Motto: bread

Post by Eru »

They seem to be water based, so... water maybe? Or something gummy and flavourful, like sweet jelly?
mooncow smells
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I've long thought that, assuming their biology isn't completely alien, that Chao would probably most closely resemble amphibians... though I'm not willing to rule out reptile or Cephalopod.

Comparing to things people eat in real life, that would make the list of "tastes like x" include frogs, turtles, snakes, alligator, octopus, and squid.

As for whether people in Sonic's world would eat Chao... well, humans in real life typically have taboos against eating pets... and where there is overlap in "animals we eat" and "animals we keep as pets" it's usually something fairly exotic(e.g. snakes and turtles are both kept as pets and eaten, but they aren't considered "normal" for either... and while fish are both a common food and a somewhat common pet, I'm pretty sure the species we eat and the ones we put in aquariums usually aren't the same(or at least, I can't recall ever hearing of someone having a pet salmon or tuna or eating goldfish(the actual fish, not the snack food) or guppies)... though, admittedly, that's a fairly America-centric viewpoint and different cultures have different standards, and while SegaSonic's world seems to be closer to united than real life earth, there's no reason to think different regions of Sonic's world wouldn't have different standards.

Also, Chao are implied to be at least as intelligent as real world cats and dogs... and if they are Cephalopods... well, Octopuses are generally considered to be the smartest invertebrates... so there's an argument that Chao would be too sentient to eat even if you're okay with eating meat in general.