How Did You Get Into Sonic?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 2 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

How Did You Get Into Sonic?

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

For me, it all started when I was about 5, my mom got me a shiny new DS Lite, along with Sonic Rush, my very first video game (she also got me a Dora game but I don’t even remember it). I never beat it because I dropped my DS in a cooler. So when I got my Wii in 2010, I also got Sonic Colors and Sonic and the Secret Rings. I remember being super upset at SatSR because I thought I was a bad gamer, but now I see that it was just the awful controls. I really enjoyed Colors though, even with the Wiimote controls. Somehow they got lost, and I slowly forgot about Sonic until 2014. I was at Walmart with my dad and we were looking for some good games to play on our Xbox 360. He pointed out Sonic Generations since he was a major SEGA fanboy as a kid. I gave the game a chance and I was hooked. I stayed up all night playing it and I beat it the next day. City Escape was my favorite level so I looked up gameplay of Sonic Adventure 2 and I immediately wanted it. I got a GameCube and began studying the Sonic lore. I also picked up a copy of Rush and finally beat it. Since then, I’ve been expanding my collection, buying every game I got my hands on. There’s a retro game store close to me that really helped me get a hold of the older titles.
But enough about me, I want to hear how YOU got into Sonic!
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Re: How Did You Get Into Sonic?

Post by chaoadventures »

My brothers had a Gamecube and a bunch of Sonic games already on it by the time I could hold a controller (along with other fantastic GC games like Melee and Mario Sunshine) so I just played those.

I mostly blame Sonic Mega Collection for coming with this video however. (Surprisingly, it wasn't until just now I noticed they misspelled "Dr. Robotnik" as "Dr. Robotonik".)

Even though I now know it's just another game compilation with less games and a likely short 3D mini-game, I still really want to play Sonic Jam just from their little segment.

Now that I think about it, it also had this video, which made me want to play SA2 more because I wanted to hear Won't Stop, Just Go! in-game since I hadn't made it that far, for whatever reason at the time. And the Sonic Advance 2 trailer still makes me want to play a version of the game with the song.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

My dad had the first Sonic when i was 4.
You can probably see what happened next.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I first encountered Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog on VHS circa 1999.
I remember having these two tapes specifically. I may have had more tapes or might have seen more episodes on TV, since I remember watching the show quite a lot, though I never got to see the whole series. Scratch and Grounder were my favorite characters, and as an extension of that I started to be fond of Robotnik. In 2005 I ordered Sonic Advance + Sonic Pinball Party Combo Pack from a Scholastic Books catalogue. That was my introduction to the video game series, and I found the new (new to me) characters intriguing enough to try looking up information about them online. It wasn't long before I discovered the Sonic fanfiction archive Netraptor.org; I'm pretty sure I'd been browsing Netraptor before I bought any Sonic games for the Gamecube. Since I was familiar with Knuckles and Amy from Sonic Advance, I tended to read stories that focused on one of them, especially Knuckles; since I read these stories first, their depiction in those fanfics informed how I viewed the characters more than the games did. Around the same time I also started watching Sonic X. I suppose it was a good time to get into the franchise since there was so much Sonic media, you didn't have to own every game to understand the fandom. Through Netraptor.org I discovered other Sonic websites like KnucklesChaotix.info, where I read Sonic The Comic scans for the first time. There were lots of other great Sonic related sites and artists that left a big impression on me as a kid. I really wanted to be part of the online community and contribute my own creations to the fandom. I think every major decision I made on the internet had some relation to my love of Sonic, a trajectory I've pretty much stuck with throughout the years.

I started playing Sonic games in 2005, started reading fanfiction on Netraptor in 2006, and my interest in the franchise became identity-defining by 2007: by then I had most of the Gamecube titles (and thus was familiarized with most of the series history) and had seen all of the anime. In 2008 I made a deviantART account where I chose to name myself after Dr. Eggman, who had become my absolute favorite character. In 2009 I joined Fanfiction.net under the screen name Ivo-goji. In 2010 I joined a Sonic X RP where predictably enough I played Eggman. When I joined Chao Island in 2011 I'd already been Ivo for so long it felt like my real name. In 2012 I started putting some of the experience I'd gotten RPing into writing my big Sonic fanfic Ripple Effect. I think that was the peak of my interest in the franchise. I'm still tinkering with that fanfic and other Sonic related projects, but my enthusiasm for the series isn't as strong as it used to be, and after my father passed away in 2013 I had to struggle to suport myself financially and wasn't able to purchase new games consistently.

Looking back, my involvement in the Sonic fandom played a big role in how I grew up. Through Netraptor and other fanfics Sonic helped me decide that I wanted to be an author.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
epcthunderfist987
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: They ruined my home!

Post by epcthunderfist987 »

I got into Sonic when I first saw my cousins playing Sonic Heroes on their Gamecube, back then the only games they had were Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog (Which I enjoyed) and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. I was immediately hooked when I saw the beauty that is the first stage, and thought the game was pretty good (at the time.) After that, I kind of forgot about it for a while, but soon was shown Sonic Advance 3. I asked my friend if I could borrow it, and I loved it. After that, I got my hands on Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and the PS2 Sonic Mega Collection Plus. So, I have to thank my cousins for introducing me to the Sonic franchise.
Crappi's Codec frequency: 149.87

Lyn's Codec frequency: 140.64
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

Forgot to mention the bubble bath.
This is technically my first Sonic game, which I got somewhere around the year 2000. It was introduction to Sonic and Eggman's modern designs. I wish I still had it.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
fieryQuantum
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: Happiness and muffins. But mostly muffins.

Post by fieryQuantum »

Sonic X was where I started when I was in middle school. Lots of self cringe.
My Nintendo Network ID for Wii U/3DS: fQuantum
My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/supermarioman11/
My Skype: cameron.dilbeck
My twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/supermarioman11
My 3DS friend code: 3265-63962357
(15:55:08) fieryQuantum: I was literally freaking out to the point where I almost had a heart attack and died right there, which would have been beyond ironic.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

(This is my very first ever post on the forum, so I thought this would be a good topic to start with!)

I first got into Sonic around the early to mid 2000s (the Dreamcast/Gamecube era), but because it was so long ago, I don't actually remember what the very first game I played was. However, given what I had around that time, I can narrow down that it was either one of the games on the Genesis (1, 2, 3 AND KNUCKLES, or 3D Blast), Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, or Sonic Advance. Even though I didn't get to play Heroes, Shadow, Sonic 06, or Unleashed when they came out, I did follow what was happening at the time. It was around the time Unleashed came out (2008) that I fell out of the series for a couple of years, which is why I didn't know much about Colors when it came out.When Generations came out (2011), I got it and played it, and it was what made me start getting back into Sonic. It was also around that time that I started playing SA2B again, and I accidentally stumbled upon Chao Island! Ever since, I've been slowly but surely building up my Sonic collection, and I now own pretty much every game in the main series, and I plan on getting every new game to come!
SilverRabbit
Fearless Chao
Fearless Chao
Motto: We're going to the ark, so I guess that means we- crud

Post by SilverRabbit »

Probably through Sonic Heroes since it was the first Sonic game I played and I enjoyed it even though I was crap at it. Also really enjoyed the series and had a VHS of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog which most likely helped me with getting into Sonic more. Think it was originally one of my older brother’s copies. Sadly I don’t have it anymore.
Weird person who likes cartoons, pink and video-games.
ZipoCXG
Chao Artist
Chao Artist
Motto: Well have you had curry?

Post by ZipoCXG »

I had just gotten an Gamecube for my 7th birthday, and we forgot to get a memory card for it (which was a new concept for me at the time), so while we we out shopping, we went by the game section of the store, and I noticed they had Sonic Adventure 2: Battle on the shelf. I begged my dad to buy it for me, but he kept asking me if I wanted Luigi's Mansion instead, eventually he gave up and bought me SA2B. It didn't take very long for me to love the game, especially the chao garden, and the series has stuck with me ever since.

Funny thing about the whole purchase: the only reason I wanted the game was because I thought the box art looked cool. I knew absolutely nothing about the series prior.
Goodbye-m8
Junior Chao
Junior Chao
Motto: They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Post by Goodbye-m8 »

My cousin gave me and my sister their gamecube along with SA2B and it quickly became one of my favorite games.
neoratz
Egg
Egg
Motto: yo listen up, here's the story

Post by neoratz »

when i was REEEEALLY little me and my parents went over to their friends' house and their daughter showed me sonic adventure and we messed around with a bunch of her sonic plushies and i thought they were awesome. i didn't actually get super into sonic until i was like 9 or 10 though, that was the age it turned into a full blown obsession and i had like 5000 sonic ocs :p
:blah: i hate vetabills
Runasutaru
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Be the punching bag!

Post by Runasutaru »

This topic brings to mind an anecdote I tell very often that renders it impossible to answer this topic's question. See, I don't remember anything from before I was 4 years old, but I've allegedly been playing Sonic games since I was 2 years old — 1994! I often controlled player 1 and player 2 simultaneously, too. I must've been ferrying Sonic along as Tails all the time! All I can say is that I played Sonic 1, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and later on Sonic Adventure 1/2 a ton during my formative years, and this intense focus has shaped me in various ways:
colour preferences: blue+yellow/orange/peach is my favourite colour combination;
gaming preferences: platforming; momentum; flow; high speed cap; precision; snappy controls; exploration; freedom;
art focus: I almost exclusively draw non-humans;
fascinations: I really like flight (hi, Tails and Knuckles) and creatures with highly mutable forms (hi, Chao).

It has likely affected some elements of my personality as well, but it's hard to establish a correlation there, much less penning the specific cause down as "playing exorbitant amounts of Sonic".
TheBrazilianInvader
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Live and just learn it

Post by TheBrazilianInvader »

Basically, i started to play Sonic when i had my first PC. Cause i didn't had a Mega Drive. So i played on a Sega Genesis,32x,CD emulator. I played Sonic 1, 2, 3 and Knuckles. 2 years later, i downloaded Dolphin to play Gamecube and Wii games. So i played Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2, including Director's Cut. :darksurprise:
MagicIsEverything
Egg
Egg
Motto: Skate 3 on Nintendo switch

Post by MagicIsEverything »

I remember when I was little I saw my cousins playing Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 on the gamecube, and when one of my birthdays came around, I asked for a copy of SA2. Later down the line, I eventually got SA1 and the Sonic mega collection. I remember playing the heck out of all of them
:herosurprise: Keep it Clean ! :herosurprise:
ScarlettBlaze
Egg
Egg

Post by ScarlettBlaze »

When I was a young kid, we had an old computer. I don't remember exactly what kind it was or how old it was, but it ran Windows 95. I was about five or six years old when my mom gave me Sega Smash Pack 2 for the computer, and it included Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I was absolutely terrible at it - never got past the second zone - but I fell in love. We never got any TV channels that played any of the cartoons, so that game was it for a while. As I got a little bit older, my first days on the Internet were looking up Sonic fan-sites. I remember that the obsession really took off when I was nine years old, when I received my GameCube, along with a few games, for Christmas in 2004. My two favorites were SADX and SA2B. I was hooked on them immediately and it all went from there. I remained very active in the fandom for several years, up until about 2008. I haven't been caught up on the newer games, and I'm still to this day playing my older ones! I also play Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, and Sonic Mega Collection - but the Adventure series remains my favorite.
Raising Chao in SADX and SA2B since 2004. :cool:
Cham 2.0
Egg
Egg

Post by Cham 2.0 »

Played Sonic Advance 2 when I was young, and then Sonic Adventure 2. Kinda just went on from there.
"Don't forget. Believe in yourself. Not in the you who believes in me. Not the me who believes in you. Believe in the you who believes in yourself."

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."

Go beyond the impossible and kick reason to the curb!
3ndie
Egg
Egg
Motto: physically im here but mentally im in station square ♡

Post by 3ndie »

My friend introduced me to it when we were about 5 and ever since then I've adored it.
We used to pretend to be the different characters all. the. time. we would create our own storylines, characters and add to already existing plot points too (and of course ships were always involved). Around this time I also began playing the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX (my first ever Sonic game and still my fave to this date) and began figuring out that there were other games in the series as well as tv shows, comic books and a whole bunch of people who liked the same thing as me. All of this plus my friend and I talking about it literally any chance we got helped me really see how expansive Sonic's universe was and all the different events and plots were super interesting to hear about.
It's been 10+ years since then and honestly I don't think I'll ever stop being a fan of Sonic, he's comforted me for so long and is one of my biggest sources of happiness and inspiration in this world ! :herosway:
phamvan
Egg
Egg

Post by phamvan »

Oh yeah, I used to play Sonic all the time when I was a kid, too! The best Sonic series was on the Sega console. I have a PlayStation 4. I've seen the Sonic series of games made for that console. I can't say anything about this game because it's not a game as such.
Xeno
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Xeno »

I first played Sonic 2 in the early 00's as my grandparents owned a Sega Genesis, but it wasn't until about 2008 or 2009 when I got into Sonic since I bought a GameCube and a plethora of Sonic titles second-hand. I think the craziest part about the GameCube is how you can essentially play every single mainline Sonic game from 1991 to 2005 (ending with Sonic Rush on the Nintendo DS). The Master System/Game Gear/Genesis/Sega CD/Saturn titles are all available through the compilation discs (namely Sonic Gems Collection and Sonic Mega Collection) and Sonic Adventure DX, all of the Game Boy Sonic titles can be played through the Game Boy Player peripheral, the Dreamcast games were re-released as Sonic Adventure DX and Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and all of the newer titles (e.g. Sonic Heroes) were multi-platform. The GameCube is what really allowed me to explore most avenues of the Sonic landscape and I'm thankful for that.
“Life’s not cruel until you put the game controller down.”

This is a little philosophical gem that I said when I was insanely tired.
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Who actually reads these?

Post by Londi »

The mobile ports

The ****** mobile ports