Who Won?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 8 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Who Won?

Post by Ivogoji »

The Sonic Adventure games and Sonic Heroes feature the player characters going up against each other in boss battles, with the winner either being dependent on which one the player is using or left ambiguous. I've seen one attempt by fans to determine who the winners of the character battles in SA2 were by examining the available evidence, and I'm basically going to echo their conclusions while also suggesting outcomes for the other games.

SA

Sonic vs Knuckles
The cutscene following this battle indicates that there was no winner and the fight simply ended when the two collided hard enough to send the Chaos Emeralds flying. A more pertinent question is who went on to fight Chaos 4. I'm inclined to think Knuckles was the one that took the creature on, since he would want to redeem himself after being tricked into fighting Sonic by Dr. Eggman. The cutscene following the boss's defeat doesn't shed any light on the matter, though Sonic appears to have already forgotten their prior animosity by that point.

Sonic vs Gamma
Sonic, Tails, and Amy's stories all present Gamma as losing the fight, so that would seem to be the most likely outcome. However, Amy's conversation with Gamma during his story where she protects Sonic is too important to the way his character development must play out for later events to happen, so we can't disregard Gamma's perspective either. The scenario I would suggest is that Sonic defeated Gamma and prepared to deliver the fatal blow only to be interrupted by Amy; then, just as Sonic agreed to spare the robot's life, Gamma's cutscene happens and Gamma takes aim at Sonic while Amy has him distracted. Amy notices this just in time to turn around and stop Gamma from shooting Sonic in the back; by the time she lectures Gamma, Sonic and Tails have already stopped paying attention to them.

Sonic and Tails' races
It doesn't actually make any difference from a storyline perspective if Tails beats Sonic to the end of the stage or not. Given that Sonic isn't really trying to outrun Tails in his own stages, there's no reason to assume Tails doesn't win the races. From a narrative standpoint it would make sense if racing Sonic and winning was a kind of practice for beating Eggman to the end of Speed Highway- which IS storyline significant, as Tails must beat Eggman to stop him from detonating the missile.

SA2

Tails vs Eggman and Sonic vs Shadow on Prison Island
In both cases we have something similar to the fight between Sonic and Knuckles in the first game, with neither side actually winning the duel, only fighting each other long enough for an event in the story to interrupt them and force the battle to a draw.

Knuckles vs Rouge is much the same. If one of them one won, the other just got up and tried to keep fighting before the cutscene kicked in and resolved the conflict for them. Although, since Rouge is so exhausted she nearly falls to her death, I'd assume she was the one who got the worse end of the battle.

As noted here, Tails vs Eggman on the ARK is different, in that each outcome is story important.
In order for the Dark Side story to play out, Eggman must declare himself the winner and contact Shadow to send him after Sonic. Otherwise Shadow can't show up for their last battle.
In order for the Hero Side story to play out, Tails must emerge triumphant and throw down Eggman just before Sonic prevents the Eclipse Cannon from firing.
The theory I linked to speculated that Tails and Eggman's fight was a two rounder. First Eggman overpowered Tails, nabbed the Yellow Chaos Emerald, then ordered Shadow to chase after Sonic. After that Tails got his second wind and attacked Eggman while he was still gloating, defeating the Doctor and knocking him to the floor. This would explain why the Yellow Emerald is on the ground within Eggman's reach; he was actually holding on to it just a second ago. It also neatly explains why Eggman took so long to get from the escape pod chamber to the control room in the Dark Side Story, as he was still dealing with Tails while Shadow ran through Final Chase and had his fight with Sonic.

That brings us to Sonic vs Shadow on the ARK. Clearly Sonic was the winner; Shadow expressed lethal intent, so if Shadow won Sonic would be dead and the Eclipse Cannon would have fired, devastating the Earth. Sonic winning allows the Hero Side story to finish and has no impact on the ending of the Dark Side story, so there's no reason to suppose Shadow won. Sonic's victory also distracts Tails and Amy from seeing Dr. Eggman take the Yellow Emerald, which is necessary for the Last Story to play out. This is the only character battle with a single definitive winner.

I wanna look at the related situations in Sonic Heroes and Sonic Rush too, but I need to replay the boss fights again because my memory is fuzzy.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD