Anyone here like Sonic X?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 5 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Anyone here like Sonic X?

Post by ChillyChao »

I can ramble on about how great this show is for years.
Anyone like Sonic X? You know, that anime that people say had the crappiest voice acting ever? I love that show! And i love the theme as well! (American and Japanese versions, i pity you if you live in Europe and had to listen to that horrible theme and also have to deal with the ban of memes.) Am i biased about this?? Yes. Very.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: Anyone here like Sonic X?

Post by Ivogoji »

The Metarex Saga was the best part fite me
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^Agreed 100%.

---

Sonic X was... interesting.

I feel like it had potential to be much better than what it was, while I find it to be pretty alright, there are 3 things I would have changed, that aren't Chris or the acting.

Spoiler:
- Better animation. (Sonic X has terrible animation, that while it didn't detract from the show too much personally, it made certain scenes with more action than usual very underwhelming)

- Actual usage of plot points that were brought up. (I thought Dark Sonic was cool. But. He only showed up for like 10 seconds to be thrown away and that's really just sad.)

- Eggman's odd portrayal. As seen in the above link, Eggman is... really off his game. In S3&K, he shocked Knuckles when he tried to stop him. In SA2, he blew up the moon and threatened to destroy a country with no remorse. In Lost World, he planned to drain the world's energy to power his machines. In all of those, you can see how Eggman operates his plans, regardless of who's making the story.

But in Sonic X? He... knows where Sonic lives, but sends Bokkun instead of all of the giant robots he apparently has at the ready and gives Sonic friendly advice?

Eggman is a really weird guy in Sonic X.
That all said I'd watch another season of that show if an official continuation was made.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Like many, I wish the English dub had used the Adventure voice cast, but 4Kids being their usual ruin everything they touch that isn't TMNT selves aside, Sonic X was quite enjoyable.

Also, I didn't really mind Chris that much, though Helen is my favorite of the human characters introduced by the series.

And yes, the Metarex Saga was the best. Possibly across all Sonic Animation. Also, Cosmo ranks as my most wanted candidate for canon immigrant.
NiGHTSIsLife
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: If you have time to worry, then run!

Post by NiGHTSIsLife »

This was my first anime and 5 year old me had no taste ( I liked Sonic and the Secret Rings at this point) but even then I despised Chris. I didn’t mind the animation at the time either. I’ve been trying to finish the English dub, but a lot of the voices are AWFUL (except Mike Pollock of course), and 4kids’ censoring makes it even worse ( why would you take out ENGLISH TEXT?!). The character portrayals were mostly ok, with the exception of Eggman of course. I can’t speak about the Metarex Saga just yet because I’m still on season 2. Once I’m finished with the show I’ll speak about it more.
“Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets.”
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

It was cool but I never really liked the human element. But Sonic Boom is great haha
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Sonikku2k
Egg
Egg

Post by Sonikku2k »

I really thought Sonic X was the best they could do (at the time) for the franchise. I felt it to be better than all previous efforts.
I have the entire series safely tucked away. I do watch it often and I also use stills for art references.
In that anime, you will find as much art reference for Sonic projects as you could dream of.

The human element was a tad bit, annoying but they made it work quite OK.
Sonikku2k
Egg
Egg

Post by Sonikku2k »

NiGHTSIsLife wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 pm This was my first anime and 5 year old me had no taste ( I liked Sonic and the Secret Rings at this point) but even then I despised Chris. I didn’t mind the animation at the time either. I’ve been trying to finish the English dub, but a lot of the voices are AWFUL (except Mike Pollock of course), and 4kids’ censoring makes it even worse ( why would you take out ENGLISH TEXT?!). The character portrayals were mostly ok, with the exception of Eggman of course. I can’t speak about the Metarex Saga just yet because I’m still on season 2. Once I’m finished with the show I’ll speak about it more.
The censoring was necessary because (I am a Japanese speaker) the original language is, how shall I say, colourful.
Open sexual references, four letter words (even in the 2nd episode - Area 99)
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I'll admit, 4Kids pretty much dominated my childhood, and I grew up watching a lot of Anime they dubbed, especially Sonic X and Pokemon (which is probably a contributing factor as to why they're my two all-time favorite franchises). Also, even though they did consor a lot of things, I honestly find a lot of what they censored to be really funny (These Jelly-filled donuts are great!), so some of it is fine by me.

I also have a lot of fond memories reading the Sonic X comics! I remember going to my local Walden book store (may they rest in peace) when they came out, and I begged my parents to get them for me. I think I only ended up getting one issue at the time, being Issue 18 "Rouge goes Rogue", and I still have it to this very day.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

e

I'm mostly ambivalent to the censorship necessary to meet the requirements of US broadcast standards, and considering Station Square is already supposed to be located in a US analog, 4Kids usual xenophobia doesn't bother me as much here as in their dubs that try to take shows set in Japan or a Japan analog and give everyone and everything a nationality lift(I'm staring at you with freaky, unseeing eyes, Mew Mew Power and Magical DoReMi). And if I remember correctly, most of the onscreen text was Engrish, and while I would've preferred 4Kids correct the Japanese studio's bad English, blanking the text in question is probably preferable to children imitating bad spelling and grammar from their favorite show.

What really pisses me off about the 4Kids dub is that 4Kids refusedRyan Drummond's offer to voice Sonic for the anime and then Sonic X did so well in the US that Sega of America(or whoever made that call), decided to get rid of the Sonic adventure voice cast in favor of the Sonic X voice cast. The Adventure games had some crummy voice work in there English dubs, but for the majority of characters that appeared in both the Adventure duology/Heroes and Sonic X, I prefer the character's game voice in the majority of cases.

But yeah, Sonic X is definitely on the list of shows I'd redub if I miraculously became rich enough I could afford to open my own dubbing studio and could afford to pick projects based on personal interest rather than profitability(though, Sonic X wouldn't be at the top of my list).
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

I forgot i made this thread.
I haven't watched this show in a while lol
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

From what I know, it was Sega's idea to replace the cast with the Sonic X crew, and I agree that I would've preferred them to keep going with the Heroes cast, especially since it was my favorite (unpopular opinion, I know). However, I still think that the 4Kids cast did a pretty good job, and although I do prefer Ryan Drummond, Jason Griffith still did a pretty good job with both Sonic and Shadow.
ShadriaFan
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Tiny take back pretty crystals in GLADIATOR ARENA!

Post by ShadriaFan »

Sonic X, along with Sonic Advance 3 and Sonic Adventure 2 Battle were my first forays into the Sonic Universe. I still find enjoyment in the series, however I admit I find it more humorous than adventurous. Memes are great, music is catchy in its own way (GOTTA GO FAST! GOTTA GO FASTER FASTER FA-FA-FASTER! SAAAANIC! HE'S ON THE RUN!), and some of the character portrayals were interesting.
It doesn't hold up that well compared to today's cartoons, and I feel sorry for the lone art supervisor, she probably got swamped- which led to the questionable animation in the final show. Some voices are memorable to me, such as Amy's. I just keep on imagining her as Mars from the Pokemon Anime, lul.
SonicBoom wrote:I guess the secret's out. I live in a flying metal lemon.
1337 chao date:Feb.6,2012.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Re

While Music is usually one of 4Kids' strong points(I actually Prefer Pokemon Johto and Kirby: Right Back at Ya to the corresponding Japanese openings, they gave Yu-Gi-Oh quite possibly the most epic instrumental opening ever, and their dub opening for Shaman King is on par with Oversoul) , I'd say Gotta Go Fast is one of their weaker dub themes. J-pop is weird in connection to a series known for English vocal tracks even in Japanese releases, but Sonic Drive is awesome, Hikaru Michi is beautiful, and this series is the reason Off Course is in my CD collection.

Also, in regards to voices, not only do I prefer Drummond to Griffin, I prefer Jaleel White to Griffin, though I'll admit the man who brought the Hog with Attitude to life in the cartoons from the 90s might not fit the very different Character that is Sonic's X incarnation. Though, admittedly, when I first heard Drummon's portrayal, it was a bit Jarring after growing up with White, but Drummond grew on me by the end of SADX, while Griffin's portrayal never did. All I know of Sonic's post-Griffin English voice)is the post-X cast still the current one?) is that he voice Shinji Hirako in the dub of bleach, so I don't really have an opinion on that guy, and it's been forever since I've watched the OVA/Movie, so no opinion there either.

Damn, Sonic's had a lot of English voices, which is quite a stark contrast to another spikey-haired hero associated with seven mystical objects and whose hair gets even spikier and turns golden blonde when he goes Super, as Goku has been voiced by the same woman in Japan for the Dragonball Franchise's entire 30+ year run. Then again, to my knowledge, Sonic has only had one Japanese voice actor as well, and in general, I hear the Japanese are big on characters keeping the same voice across incarnations and will sometimes kill a character off for real to avoid recasting if a voice actor dies.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Most of the Sonic X cast has been replaced since then (with obvious exceptions like Mike Pullock), and Roger Craig Smith has been Sonic since Colors.

And yes, Sonic's Japanese voice actor, Junichi Kanemaru has been voicing him since Sonic Adventure. Fun fact, in the Japanese dubs, Sega makes him occasionally speak minimal English, because in Japan, English is considered a "cool" language. What makes this funnier is that I heard Kanemaru might actually also work as an English teacher, and although I don't know for sure, considering what I just said, I guess that would make him qualified.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

I remember there being a bunch of recastings for the games English dubs around 2010 that was about as big as the shift from the Adventure/Heroes Cast to the Sonic X cast, but I wasn't sure if there had been any changes since.

And admittedly, I haven't played any console game post-heroes, and Colors was the last handheld game I played, and even then, the handheld games had minimal voice acting, so I don't know if the Sonic x cast improved any voicing the games.

Oh, and out of curiosity, I decided to look up Sonic's Japanese va from the OVA, and funnily enough, Sonic's first Anime voice actor also voices Joe in the Japanese version of Digimon Adventure, among others from that franchise.

Oh, I watched Sonic X subbed before it was ever announced that 4Kids was going to dub it, so I have first hand experience with Japanese Sonic's gratuitous English, though I had already been well acquainted with the Japanese habit of including random English words in things like song lyrics, catch phrases, and attack names. Granted, Sonic the Hedgehog takes this up to 11, what with pretty much the whole cast having punny names based on English words, pretty much all of the vocal tracks through out the entire series being completely in English, and the series supposedly being targetted at western audiences since the Genesis original.
TheBrazilianInvader
Child Chao
Child Chao
Motto: Live and just learn it

Post by TheBrazilianInvader »

No. Why? I only like the Japanese version. Cause the "good" 4KIDS ruined the entire anime :darkangry: ! 4KIDS is just a child censoring things that don't make sense.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

^
4Kids does make sense. If the original Japanese version of Sonic X was just dubbed into English with all the curse words still there, my mom would've killed me for watching that, and so would a lot of other people.
4Kids is a great company in terms of dubbing anime for kids. Maybe not for older people, but definitely for kids.
Also this post is old. I don't like Sonic X anymore. I don't like Sonic very much either.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

No, 4Kids routinely insulted the intelligence of their target audience and was downright xenophobic in their treatment of Japanese culture when dubbing anime(which is doubly ironic(or at least what people mistake for irony) considering they never shied away from the Japanese cultural references in TMNT2k3).

Censorship sucks, and ageist censorship doubly sucks, but if the worst of 4Kids sins had been doing the minimal amount of editing to garner a TV-G/Y7/Y rating, I don't think they'd be nearly as reviled among the greater anime community.

Admittedly, Sonic X was already set in Pseudo-America, so it didn't get hit as hard in regards to censorship of Japanese culture as some other 4Kids Dubs and I think it might be the only show 4Kids dubbed to not get a single name change, though it still suffered soundtrack replacement and plenty of people were salty over 4Kids ditching the entire game cast(they supposedly even turned down Ryan Drummond's offer to relocate to voice Sonic).
a chao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao
Motto: "Ima outta here!"

Post by a chao »

Yep. I watched it on YouTube because I wasn't old enough to understand anything so ... does this count or no? Anyways, I love this show. The ending is uh.. Just like the endiñg of SA. Anyways, It's a really good show to watch if your bored.
chao are cool as heck :cool: