Updates on the Sonic the Hedgehog Movie (2019)

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Re: Updates on the Sonic the Hedgehog Movie (2019)

Post by Ivogoji »

I never cross posted my rant here.

I think I'll do that.

http://imgur.com/a/7bUowx8
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
YuYuChaosho
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: The day only gets worse when the sun sets at 3pm

Post by YuYuChaosho »

Ivogoji wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:56 pm http://imgur.com/a/7bUowx8
I love the rant btw. Its pretty true

- - -
Thinking about it.. why didn’t they try to go for something centered around the Sonic Bible? I mean half of the stuff that’s written in there isn’t canon so they could’ve put their own twists and turns in it as much as they’d like. Heck, hire a real life hedgehog to be the before Sonic and then the after Sonic be this confusing mess of a Sonic..
Actually frick that sounds like a much better movie plot and reason for the Sonic design..

- - -
Ivogoji’s Rant wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:56 pm ...executive producer Tim Miller said of giving Sonic fur. “It would be weird and it would feel like he was running around nude if he was some otter-like thing. It was always, for us, fur, and we never considered anything different.”
“Sonic has and always had fur” lol what are you dummies talking about, ya’ll thinking of Tails
inb4 they give Tails quills
SEGA does what Nintendon’t
YuYuChaosho
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by YuYuChaosho »

Sooooo...
Do you guys think they’re going to actually change it?

For Mewtamer:
Jeff Fowler on Twitter tweeted,
Thank you for the support. And the criticism. The message is loud and clear.. you aren’t happy with the design & you want changes. It’s going to happen. Everyone at Paramount & SEGA are fully committed to making this character the best he can be..

he hashtags with sonicmovie and then gottafixfast lol
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

That Tweet bothers me only because he says "Sega" and not "SEGA"
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
YuYuChaosho
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by YuYuChaosho »

^
Frick, I totally glossed over that error in the Tweet. :darkcool: just automatically read it as SEGA and not Sega..
If they can't get the company name right then they aren't gonna get this movie right. :darkno:
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

While the Sega logo has been stylized in all caps since at least Sonic 1, I'd argue rendering their name using standard capitalization rules doesn't qualify as an error, and it strikes me a bit odd that people would go out of their way to all-cap the name in plain text.
YuYuChaosho
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by YuYuChaosho »

I’m a bit late on this update buttttt..
The movie has been delayed until February 14th of next year
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Next Valentine's Day, we'll be getting the most romantic thing of all...

A live-action Sonic movie.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

In all seriousness though, they said they're going to change the design and they delayed it so they have more time to actually apply that, but I get a feeling it's not actually going to change very much like everyone wants it to. They'll probably just tweak his facial features a bit (and hopefully give him actual gloves), but I doubt they would do more than that. That's just what I think would happen personally though, maybe they'll do something unexpected (maybe they'll make it even worse).
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

I know that they have to fix the design, but it kind of XXXXXX me off that they've postponed this god XXXX movie 2 times already. Remember the promise that this movie came out in 2018? Yeah, me too.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Man, looking at the timeline of when they made announcements of release dates, it really makes you wonder what they were even thinking.

Apparently, production of the movie technically began way back in 2013 when Sony got the rights to make it, and the movie's existence was announced a year later, at the time not having a release date. Work on the movie was silent until February of 2016 when they gave the 2018 release date, and over a year later in October of 2017, Sony handed over the rights to Paramount. In was in February of 2018 when Paramount revealed the November 15th 2019 release date, although it eventually was pushed forward a week to the 8th (because that apparently makes a difference), and in May of that same year, it was revealed that the movie would have a budget of 90 Million dollars (money very well spent making a live-action Sonic movie). Filming for the movie in Vancouver and San Fransisco happened during the Summer of 2018 (with some extra footage being recorded in late October), and the first poster was revealed in December of that year. On April 30th 2019, the first official trailer was revealed, and people hated the design so much that the release date was pushed to February 14th 2020.

Seriously, I think it was a really bad idea to come up with a release date several years in advance and expect it to be done by then. I know movies take a long time to make, so it would make sense to at least have a MONTH set in stone for a planned release, but the actual date??? It was for this reason that a change or delay was inevitable, especially with not many people actually being very optimistic about the final product. They did all of the recording over a year ahead of time, so the main thing they have to still do is all of the animations for Sonic, change his design (so they claim), and put it all together, which could take a while, but they evidently have already done quite a bit, so the February 2020 deadline isn't too unreasonable. As for how long changing Sonic's design would take, it probably wouldn't take too long since it should (keyword should) be a simple procedure, but there's also actually designing the newer design, so I think that would be where most of that time will be spent. Will it get delayed again? We'll have to wait and see.

Dang, I just went on a rant.
YuYuChaosho
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by YuYuChaosho »

Heyyyy you guys!
Its Sonic Movie update time :surprise: ..after such a long while too!
I'm a bit late on this update I think.. but-
look at this adorable guyyy :sway: this, to me, is the Sonic we totally deserved to see in the first trailer!
also loOK-
HE'S GOT THE GLOVES!!!
Gloved adorableness aside, he's super cartoon-y looking imo.. like he doesnt exactly fit in with the surroundings nor does he look really natural with the human actors in the trailer .. but I think maybe it has something to do with the lighting they used or something..? I'm probably still too busy comparing this partially unfinished project to Detective Pikachu.. :no:
but anyways, do you guys like the new redesign? or do you think they should've stuck with the old one?
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

His new design looks really nice. I like it.
The movie seemed a little juvenile from the trailer though. The OG trailer made it seem more PG-13 like it was rumored to be, but the jokes in the new trailer seem really childish. I'm gonna see the movie regardless, but it just seems like more of a kids Sonic movie, although probably not as child pandering as the OVA.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I think this newer design is a bit better, and I remember hearing a while back that Tyson Hesse might have helped with the re-designing process, so that's cool if it's true. My only slight issue with it is the fact he still has blue arms, but they improved everywhere else, so that's a minor gripe.

As for the trailer itself, it's easy to tell they went back to the older games to get a better sense of what Sonic's world looks like and what music it should have (you know, music that isn't Gangster's Paradise). I was also surprised that the new trailer was a lot longer than the first one, which could be because they wanted to show off as much of the re-design as possible, but it could also mean that the movie itself is nearing completion and should come out on it's release without delay.

Speaking of release, and regarding all the stuff I've said before, I was honestly expecting the movie to get delayed again, but they were able to get the ball rolling with the new design and continue the movie between the re-design's announcement and now, which is a good thing because it shows they've been really cracking down and working on it a lot.

Oh, and should I also mention that the original release date was going to be this Friday? A little part of me wonders what the movie would have been like if it did come out now, but we'll probably never know.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

It's all right.

Some parts are cliche, some are gonna age like milk, but some are actually really good. It's worth a watch I say.

And yes,
chaoadventures wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 6:22 am"All The Eggman Actors Are Good"
all in all, wake me up when it's been long enough to quote a single part of the movie incessantly

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

THE MOVIE
IT WAS GOOD
BLEW MY EXPECTATIONS OUTTA THE WATER
Would rate 11/10 but because of the fart jokes and the Fortnite dance i rate 10/10
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I saw it day one, and I agree that it's going to age HORRIBLY as time goes on, but I still think it was pretty good in the end. The plot was okay, the visuals for Sonic himself were pretty cute, and the human characters actually felt important this time around (except for Agent Stone, who was just kinda there). Probably my favorite aspect of the movie was the acting though, and my favorite actor was easily Jim Carrey as Robotnik/Eggman because he worked so well at portraying him as being an absolute madman.

There's also a ton of innuendos and product placement, which... I wasn't expecting. Sonic and Tom also go to a bar, which is neat.
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao

Post by ChillyChao »

^
Totally laughed at the probe joke and the payphone joke. Like, i enjoyed those more than anyone in the theater. (although the theater was mostly little kids and baby boomers.)