Sonic IDW Comic Discussion Thread

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Sonic IDW Comic Discussion Thread

Post by AugustChao »

Seeing as though Issue 12 just came out today, and since there isn't really a thread/topic for anyone to express their opinions on the new Sonic comics by IDW (although there is an IDW topic, but it was from before IDW even came out), I made a thread for us to talk about it!

Personally, I love the new comics so far! Even though there are only 12 issues with 3 arcs so far, I've been really happy with what IDW has done with the series over the past year, and I'm really excited for what's to come! I really like the art, as well as the story and the new characters (especially Rough and Tumble :3), and I can't wait to see it continue!

(I felt we needed a visual for the first post, so here's a pretty cover for the upcoming Issue 13! :darksway: )
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Re: Sonic IDW Comic Discussion Thread

Post by AugustChao »

To anyone wondering about the releases of the upcoming Issues, here's a list of the upcoming release dates that we know of as well as their solicitations. Keep in mind that the dates are subject to change, as they've been delaying a lot of Issues as of late, and Issue 13 alone has had 3 or 4 delays already.

Issue 13 - February 6th (Happy Birthday Mewtwo!)

"Time for a break! Sonic can finally take some time to catch his breath, secure in the fact that the day's been saved and his old greatest foe is... Wait. He's gone?! What does that...? Well, that smells like trouble... The return of Rough and Tumble! Sonic faces a new threat that kicks off year two with a bang! Extra-length issue!"

Issue 14 - February 20th

"A helpful tip leads Sonic and Silver to an abandoned Eggman base suddenly teeming with activity. As the two investigate the action, an old foe returns and a new foe comes face-to-face with Sonic for the first time..."

Issue 15 - March 20th

"“Patient Zero.” Having finally come face-to-face with Dr. Starline, Sonic needs to learn more about this new threat. He and Amy investigate an old Eggman lair but find it less abandoned than they thought when Rough & Tumble return for revenge!"
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

If you want to keep up with any updates or news on IDW, I have a couple recommendations (which were also my main sources for getting these dates).

The main source that I frequent for news is the Sonic Wiki/Sonic News Network, which has any and all info on not just IDW, but also everything else Sonic related! I go to them first because they update the news pretty frequently, so it's always pretty accurate.
https://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic_News_Network

Another Wiki you could go to is the IDW Sonic Hub Wiki! Although it's information is accurate for the most part, due to it being newer and having fewer people working on it, it isn't updated as often, meaning some info is a little behind, but it's still pretty good. They're also currently going through some sort of Wiki/Fandom domain change thing, so we'll have to wait and see how it changes.
https://idwsonic.wikia.com/wiki/IDW_Sonic_Hub_Wiki
ChillyChao
Proficient Chao
Proficient Chao
Motto: help shawty my son is emo

Post by ChillyChao »

I want to read IDW so badly, but sadly where i live we only have 2 book stores and one is about an hour away. The only Sonic books that the book store near me has are a chapter book meant for elementary schoolers and a crappy get to know the characters book with the cheapest stickers with the most generic Google Images Sonic character PNGs i've ever seen. I could order the books, but i hate ordering stuff.
im just saying if the glass was gone in the glass coffin scene hoffman and strahm would have been kissing
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

^The same for me. None of the places that are near me stock it and I've even gone out several hours away and visited a real live comic book store and they didn't have anything.
(They didn't have any of the other IDW comics I was interested in either.)

Worst part is when Archie Comics was still handling the comics, I could get them from Toys 'R Us, but they're closed now.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Where I live, there are a couple of comic and bookstores that have them, but they sell out pretty fast (rather ironic since I have yet to meet anyone who's even heard of IDW in person), which is why I only own Issues 1-4 and 12, and I also do most of my reading of them online.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re:

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Does IDW not offer subscriptions delivered straight to your mailbox? Every issue of the Archie Comics I own was from a subscription(sadly, I never got around to renewing said subscription, and Archie never sent me a renewal reminder, unlike pretty much every other magazine/comicbook I've ever subscribed to, so I only own 13 issues of that, though I was collecting the Archives and Sonic Selects prior to going blind(speaking of which, does Archie still publish those, or were they forced to halt production when they lost the license to produce new comics).

For that matter, is IDW a continuation of the Archie comics or a brand new continuity?
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I haven't tried ordering them online yet, but you can apparently order them on IDW's website as well as other comic sites like Comixology. From what I know, nothing made by Archie is still in production, and the continuity of IDW is still somewhat unclear, but it does take place in the same universe as the games (I think?), since it takes place directly after Forces, and they've mentioned events that have happened in other games, but nothing else has been confirmed yet.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

In other news, we actually just learned today that there's a new mini-series coming this Summer called Sonic: Tangle and Whisper, which is a spin-off with (you guessed it!) Tangle and Whisper, and we'll be getting a re-cap prequel Issue called Issue 0 sometime in April.

Also, Issue 14 was delayed to February 27th. We also got the solicitation for Issue 16, which comes out on April 17th!

""Infection!" Sonic's been infected with a mysterious new virus and his speed seems to be his only saving grace. Can Sonic, Tails, and Tangle beat the disease before Sonic's beat? And who will be the virus' next victims?" (This kinda sounds like something from Resident Evil :3)
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Well, in all fairness, it wouldn't be the first time something clearly not in continuity with the games adapted events from the games. Shame all the Archie material might be stuck in IP purgatory though.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

In the previous month, both Issues 13 and 14 have come out! Yay! Not only that, but we now also have the solicitation for Issue 17, which is set to come out on May 29th, 8 days after Team Sonic Racing!

""Plague!" As the infection spreads across a helpless city, the Chaotix Detective Agency stands alone against the horde. Will even the world's fastest hedgehog be quick enough to provide back-up, or will the city fall? The Chaotix take the case as things go from bad to worse!" (I know I already made a connection to Resident Evil, but this is basically the Raccoon City incident :3)

Also, I don't know for sure, but I've heard some sources claim that Issue 0 of Tangle and Whisper will come out April 24th!
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

As we're nearing April, a bunch of stuff is getting ready to come out in the following couple of months, including...

1. IDW Issue 16 (April 17th)
2. Tangle and Whisper Issue 0 (April 24th, was confirmed)
3. IDW Annual 2019 (May 1st)
4. IDW Issue 17 (May 29th)
5. IDW Issue 18 (June 26th)

Coupled with the fact that Team Sonic Racing comes out on May 21st, April and May are both going to be pretty full for Sonic stuff! Not only that, but there are going to be a lot of major plot stuff revealed soon for both the main series and Tangle and Whisper! For the Annual 2019, IDW actually hinted at there being a new character, and when the B Variant Cover leaked, we got to see this new character, and she also makes an appearance in the preview pages for Tangle and Whisper Issue 0, so we'll learn more about who she is soon. As for the main series, Issue 15 came out like a week and a half ago, and already it's set the stage for Issue 16, with Sonic getting the Metal Virus (also, I had a small heart attack when Rough and Tumble got it, which was both cool and very messed up).

Also, if you want to keep up with more news about IDW, you could come check out my dorky Tumblr page, RoughandTumble-r (which I know it doesn't look like it, but it's supposed to be pronounced "RoughandTumblr" because it's a Tumblr page), where I make horrible fan-art of IDW characters and make conspiracy theories about what I think is going to happen in the series! I also do reviews of each arc when they end, so I'll be doing one for the current arc in less than a month!

https://roughandtumble-r.tumblr.com/