Sonic's World - Humans vs. Non-Humans

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Sonic's World - Humans vs. Non-Humans

Post by AugustChao »

Recently, a certain other thread was created that gave ideas for a survey asking questions about certain aspects of the Sonic series and how they should be, and the section regarding Sonic's world and the ratio of Humans to Non-Human Animals living on it really made me think and come up with ideas about it. Because of this, I made a thread for anyone to talk about how they think Sonic's World is like and whether or not they think Sonic's home-planet is or should be populated by Humans or Non-Human species or both!

Here's that other thread that gave me this idea... viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49400

Before I start, I should mention that my personal ideas are going to be based off of all or most of the games (certain examples will be mentioned) as well as other media such as the comics, mainly the newer IDW comics, but I will mention Archie at some points. I'll also be responding and referring to some of the questions within the "Sonic's World" section of the aforementioned thread. I should also say that most of the time when I refer to the "animal" characters, I will instead refer to them as "Non-Human species", mainly because Humans are also animals, they're just a different species (which I know sounds like a cliche thing to say, but it's true). Without further ado, let's get started!

Starting off with the first question in that thread, I can't really decide between whether or not Sonic's World is either Mobius or Earth. It has been referred to by both names over various forms of media over the years, but it ultimately has been decided in series like IDW that it is in fact neither, and is it's own planet seperate from the other two. As for how they're usually depicted, Mobius (as it's referred to in the Archie comics) has a population made up of both Humans and Non-Human species, but it seems that Humans still over-populate certain areas of it like in the real world, and they have a really strong presence in society and how it's ran by organizations like GUN. Earth on the other hand is a bit more complicated, because it is the planet that games like SA2 and Shadow the Hedgehog (and I'd imagine Adventure and Heroes by extension) take place in, but Sonic X makes it clear that none of the Sonic characters are actually from Earth and were instead sent there by the Chaos Emeralds, making them not native to Earth. However, it's also stated that whatever planet it is they came from and Earth are actually the same planet but in a different universe and time-frame. It's also confusing because the planet they came from doesn't have any other Humans besides Eggman, meaning he had to have been sent there from Earth somehow (which I think actually was addressed in Sonic X but never had an actual conclusion). As for how it's depicted, Earth is seen as being the exact same as our Earth until Sonic and crew are sent there, which means both Sonic-esque anthro animals and regular non-human animals exist on the same planet. Even outside of Sonic X, this is still the case in games like the Adventure games where there are actual animals you can give to Chao, a lot of which are the same species as some of the Sonic cast but are still dramatically different biologically, such as various forms of cats and birds, skunks (although Rough and Tumble didn't exist at that point, but we'll get back to IDW a bit later), rabbits, and bats (in the game where you also play as a bat). In both Mobius and Earth, there are also other species that are aliens or came to said planet from space or a different planet, such as the Black Arms and the Babylonians. However, this information really only covers certain portions of the franchise and not the franchise as a whole, which I think confirms that Sonic has multiple universes that take place on different planets and locations and what-not (which I guess should be obvious with other inconsistencies like the entire plot of Sonic 06 messing everything up).

As for how I think Sonic's World is in the more recent stuff like Mania, Forces, IDW, and even Team Sonic Racing, let's look at the info we have. It's pretty clear that the planet Mania takes place in is some sort of alternate dimension where a different version of Sonic and some other characters that only appear here (such as best team Team Hooligan, may they forever rest in Sega) exist. In this world, it's seen that Eggman exists, meaning there is some sort of Human presence, but there aren't any other visible Humans. Forces and IDW have to take place in the same Universe and planet, because IDW takes place directly after Forces. However, events in other games prior to Forces are still brought up in IDW such as the Adventure games, Heroes, Unleashed, Colors, and Secret Rings. Out of these, the Adventure games and Heroes are the most problematic because of what I mentioned earlier about the Sonic X stuff, but maybe the events of those games still happened but this time, Sonic and everyone was actually native to the planet. Due to the events of these games, and the fact that Shadow exists at all, Humans such as Gerald Robotnik, Maria, and the president of the United Federation as well as the Black Arms and GUN must all exist on this planet. The events of Unleashed happening also implies that all of the locations that are mostly populated by Human characters in that game must also exist. Given this information, the planet of Forces and IDW must have a pretty big population of Humans as well as other species, and this is where my personal theories come into play. Seeing as though IDW Publishing themselves have stated that IDW takes place on a planet other than both Mobius and Earth and the fact that there's a large Non-Human animal presence in both Forces and IDW, I'd say whatever planet the more modern stuff takes place in is it's own planet where both Humans and Non-Humans live in and co-exist in the same society, but unlike our real Earth, Humans don't vastly over-populate every other species. I'd like to think that there are an even number of every species imaginable on this planet, and Humans are just another one of them, which explains why Eggman is one of the only Humans we ever see. I also think that although there are some species exclusive communities and areas such as the multitude of Human locations and that group of wolves (that are somehow related to Whisper) that live in that Pyramid, there are also locations where both Humans and Non-Humans live together. Another question in that thread asks whether or not the inhabitants of Sonic's World live in more modern environments or they live in less modern structures such as Grass Huts or villages, and I think that it's a mix of everything. Even here on actual Earth, we have big cities like New York versus small villages of only a few people, and I'd imagine it would be the same in Sonic's World. As for other organizations or groups such as GUN, even though they're normally seen as only having Humans in previous media, I'd also imagine that they have members of all species working for them, including Team Dark. One other thing I should probably address is the presence of the small animals like Flickies, because they are basically the same species as other characters, but they still are more similar to Non-Human animals on real Earth. I don't think they're any different from the others in terms of actual intelligence, seeing as though they do show more advanced emotions and actions, but they are still drastically different in terms of biology, so I don't really have an explanation for them. There are also the Chao (which you'd think I would mentioned a bit sooner since we're on a CHAO FORUM), but like Humans, I'd consider them just another species that lives both with other species and in their own communities as well. EDIT: I also completely glossed over the fact that Wisps are a thing, but because they're aliens from another planet (Planet Wisp), they're in the same boat as the Black Arms. The Babylonians are also present now that the Babylon Rogues are in IDW.

Well, that's basically it for my conspiracy theories. If you have your own ideas, you can share them on here!