A new Sonic cartoon coming in 2022?

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 1 month old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

A new Sonic cartoon coming in 2022?

Post by AugustChao »

So I heard yesterday that a new CGI Sonic cartoon has just been announced for Netflix, and it's set to come out in 2022. It's also going to be made by Sega, WildBrainHQ, and Man of Action Entertainment, and although I don't know much about that last one (I do know they made that one Mega Man cartoon), WildBrain I've been told owns legal ownership of the DiC Sonic cartoons, so it's a possibility that elements and inspirations could be taken from those. We don't know anything else about this new series though apart from this though, so who knows? One other thing I find interesting about the 2022 release is that April of that same year is currently the estimated release date for the next Sonic movie, so maybe there'll be some kind of cross between the two or maybe one or both of them will be tied to a game.

So what do you guys think about this? Personally, I like all the Sonic cartoons, and I was also pleasently surprised by the movie, so I'm actually looking forward to a new Sonic cartoon. As for what it'll be about I have no clue, but maybe it'll take place in a similar canon to the games like Sonic X or be focused more on comedy like Sonic Boom. The little preview image I've been seeing floating around online also features what appears to be modern Sonic, so a lot of people are speculating that it will at the very least have a look inspired by the modern games, but that's still just speculation. As for it being a Netflix thing, I'm not really into the whole stream service exclusive idea, but I can understand why they'd do it, and I'm still gonna watch it regardless.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Re: A new Sonic cartoon coming in 2022?

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

If memory serves, Man of Action were the people behind the original Ben 10(no clue if they were involved in Alien Force and later sequels or the reboot) and Generator Rex, though I never got into the latter and have no idea how the company's reputation has changed since.

That said, I never really paid attention to Boom and SOnic X is the only series I've seen in it's entirety.

The Netflix exclusivity will probably prevent me from giving it a listen.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

Huh. That... makes a lot of sense, actually. I have a very vague memory watching the first episode of that Mega Man series, and I remember it being really Ben 10-esque, but it wasn't the Mega Man cartoon everyone wanted so no one ever talks about it now, which is why I honestly forgot it existed. I've also seen the first two Ben 10 series' as well as the beginning of Generator Rex many years ago and I remember liking them, so Man of Power DID make some good stuff in the past, so maybe they can do a good job with this Sonic cartoon too. I also don't know what they've done since, but I'm willing to bet Sega wouldn't let them drastically change Sonic like they did to Mega Man, so I'm hopeful it will turn out better. I also tried looking more into WildBrain, and although I don't think they really MAKE anything, they do own a bunch of other classic cartoon series from the 80s and 90s, so I don't know if they actually have a hand in the creation process or if they basically just license new shows or movies of the stuff they own.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

It was just revealed that the cartoon is going to be called Sonic Prime, and it's going to have 24 episodes! We still don't have a whole of information on it other than that, but it was also revealed that it'll be made at WildBrain's studio in Vancouver.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Here's the press release from WildBrain: https://www.wildbrain.com/newsreleases/ ... nic-prime/
Another notable thing from the article other than the 24 episodes and production studio, is that the plot will revolve around multiverse shenanigans.

This could go many different ways, and I am very interested in what direction it will go exactly.

But I am also skeptical. Man of Action works have been hit or miss for me, but they have done stuff I really like (Generator Rex, Big Hero 6 series).
Sega seems to be keeping a closer eye on Sonic spin-off material in the way characters are portrayed when possible, so I would imagine the characters would be closer to the games? That's a selling point for me, personally.

That of course depends on what the series uses as its "main" Sonic though, it could easily make its own Sonic continuity and never actually touch on the game material for the universes involved. Heck, there could be only one "Sonic" and the rest of the universes could just be aliens. On the other side of that however, they could potentially pull Movie and Boom Sonic out for this and maybe even IDW Sonic? Which could all certainly go somewhere.

There's a ton of potential, but it's definitely up in the air if it'll actually get used.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the plot was centered around Modern Sonic having to team up with a bunch of other Sonics (Classic, Boom, maybe IDW and Dreamcast) to save the Multiverse, especially since that would make the most sense to me as a 30th anniversary thing just going off of what happens in Generations and Forces. If they include Classic Sonic though, I wonder if that means we'd get to see some more of the "Classic" characters show up, and I'm also wondering if the same would be true for Boom Sonic and Sticks and IDW Sonic and the whole IDW cast. Probably not because that sounds too good to be true, but it's still something in the realm of possibility to think about.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

I can already hear the die hard fans of classic Archie Sonic panning this for inferior multiverse stuff. Possibly with nostalgia goggles firmly in place.