Sonic Origins has been revealed

General stuff to do with the blue blur! Talk about him, his friends, the TV show, whatever you like!
Warning! This topic is 1 year and 11 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Who actually reads these?

Sonic Origins has been revealed

Post by Londi »

Slated for a June 23 release, Sonic Origins includes Sonic 1/2, CD, and surprisingly the FULL Sonic 3 & Knuckles experience, using Sonic Mania's branch of the Retro Engine.

Thoughts?

https://origins.sonicthehedgehog.com/#media-3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHXjAJ86Zw
Last edited by Londi on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Re: Sonic Origins has been revealed

Post by Londi »

To answer my own question, while I do like the fact it will unify all the games and bring in new features, I have to agree with Sonic Retro user Beltway

'Gonna be honest, supporting Taxman and Stealth's continued work in remastering the original MD Sonic games is the only compelling reason for me to buy this at launch/full price. (And maybe even with the digital deluxe nonsense.)

Maybe the new features are really great (they are admittedly more than I expected), and I'm glad we are getting the remastered versions of these games in general. But $40 for four/five Genesis/CD games (two of which have been re-released multiple times this gen alone) is still a tough sell. The lack of a physical release and Sega's continued AAA strategy of hacking up the bells and whistles across multiple editions on top of all this, is just sour cream icing on the cake. (Seriously, how the hell did we go from Sega releasing free animations for the likes of Mania Adventures, TSR Overdrive, Chao in Space etc. to the animations here being paid DLC?)'

Still keeping my expectations low for this, don't want to get all hyped for what might just be a pile of overpriced DLC filled garbage. Can't say I don't wanna be proven wrong though (and then there's that evil part of me that wants this game to crash and burn, but I'll ignore it).

It's ******** random features are exclusive to the 'digital deluxe' nonsense. Just pull a Mania Plus and give us a physical edition with something good, better than paying more for different music.

Seriously, what the **** is this?
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

It's unnecessary. Those games have been released on dozens of platforms, everybody who wants to play them already owns multiple versions of each game, the MD Sonic games aren't inaccessible to fans on modern systems the way games like Shadow the Hedgehog or Sonic Riders are (ignoring GameCube emulation).

If they were making remastered versions of the Adventure games that would be worth getting excited about, Origins is just the 1000th attempt to cash in on Classic Sonic nostalgia that SEGA has been jerking off for sixteen years.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
AugustChao
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by AugustChao »

I'm honestly kinda torn on it, because on one hand, I think it's cool that they're adding new stuff to the games to give you more to do in them as well as making them a bit easier and more accesible, and I also like that they got Headcannon to work on it and are actually doing stuff with the classic Sonic IP rather than seperating the classic and modern stuff and not actually doing anything with it, but on the other hand, I can understand why people are upset about them locking a lot of stuff behind DLC despite it already being a full priced game, it not getting a physical release, and there not being more games included in it. I can also understand why Sega is purposely only focusing on the first four/five games because those are the classic games with the most positive receptions and are seen as the most successful of them, but I personally would be significantly more interested in it if they also included the rest of the games from that era like 3D Blast, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic R, maybe some of the gamegear games, and especially the few classic games that have NEVER been re-released like Knuckles' Chaotix and the arcade SegaSonic the Hedgehog. The only real reason I think they wouldn't include Knuckles' Chaotix (and possibly also Fighters because of Espio's inclusion) is because the Chaotix are now considered part of the modern cast as such aren't allowed in the classic stuff, but given how much they've pushed for Mighty and Ray in Mania Plus as well as Team Hooligan and Tails Doll in the IDW 30th Anniversary special and even Honey in the Free Comic Day special, you'd really think they would want to give people a chance to play the games they're from. It is technically still possible for them to do a physical release with some more content in it or maybe some more DLC or an expanded version similar to Mania Plus later down the line (I've seen a couple people point out that the character select screen they showed off has enough space to fit two more characters into it, which could be foreshadowing to something), but we'll have to wait and see.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Post by Ivogoji »

I can't think of any reason to exclude Chaotix from the collection except laziness. It seriously can't be a matter of them being anal about the "Chaotix is non-canon" tripe that only exists in Iizuka's mind.

If SEGA had the sense to include Chaotix then Origins would almost be worth buying (they still expect us to pay for something with five fewer games than Mega Collection JP), but this is the same company that knows Sonic Mania was the most well received Sonic game in decades and is still too dumb to make Mania 2.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Londi »

I genuinely do not care if games like the Sonic 8 bit titles, Sonic the Fighters, Chaotix etc came with the game as just ROMs in all their 4:3 glory, it would still be lazy but it's still better than most of the stuff the digital deluxe is offering. I wouldn't mind paying 5 extra for all of these games, in contrast to paying 5 extra for 'island animations.'

Hell, they should've pulled a Mania and got Creative Araya from the fanmade SMS 8 bit remasters to take part in this, they're literally doing to the 8 bit titles what Whitehead did with the Mega Drive games. (https://sonic-sms-remake.blogspot.com/ <-- link if interested)