A few resons why SA2B is better than SADX

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 12 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Which is the better game?

SA2B
84%
SADX
16%
Neither
No votes

Total votes: 50

GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Re: A few resons why SA2B is better than SADX

Post by GOLEM »

sa2 is a more polished game than sa1 because it was made later and can therefore pretty much be considered an upgrade of the first. golem likes sa2 more, but both are great games.
Flame
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: You sound like lines from a self-help book!

Post by Flame »

SA2B is better as I own it.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

I choose SADX over SA2B.

SADX pros:
Adventure field!
Better characters.
Easy Neutral Chao.
More creative gardens.
Bigs stages are fun, I dont care what you guys say. >< ("I caught a fish!!!")
Better story, well delivered.
Emblems are easier to get, and fun to find in the adventure field.
More fun to replay than SA2B is.
Extra minigames.
On the dreamcast, you could glitch one character into another's level. I thought how all the levels were connected was neat.

SADX cons:
Kill and pet being the same button. >.> (Who thought that was a good idea?)
Amy...Just...Amy.
Paying money to get hero/dark chao. (In its defense, the fruit aren't that much and their are money farming levels really close by.)
Glitchy in places.

SA2B pros:
Select a stage to take you to chao garden. (Hated that for the levels XD)
Chaos drives
More in depth chao
Harder to hurt your chao

SA2B cons:
Shadow.
No creativity in characters/levels. (Sonic/Shadow always a run stage, Tails/Eggman always a shooter, Knuckles/Rouge always searching. Couldn't the bad and good guys do different things?)
Select a stage.
Worse story line.
Shorter.
Harder to get into if you want to replay.
More emblems and they are harder to get.
D: No Big! (In normal game mode)

I like SADX better, but I still love both.
^_^
If you ever need to talk, vent, or just want advice, you can always message me!
GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by GOLEM »

Kausa wrote:SA2B cons:
Shadow.

and golem stopped thinking that any part of this post was legitimate
TheBlueEnigma
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by TheBlueEnigma »

Kausa wrote:Shadow.
No way! Shadow's awesome~! :< I don't necessarily think that Shadow's existence in the game is a con in and of itself. I understand that later on in the series Shadow's character isn't handled as well but that's also true of basically every character in the later games. It's all personal preference talking. It's the same thing with you listing Amy under the Con section for Sonic Adventure DX.
Kausa wrote:No creativity in characters/levels. (Sonic/Shadow always a run stage, Tails/Eggman always a shooter, Knuckles/Rouge always searching. Couldn't the bad and good guys do different things?)
Um.. That's how it was in Sonic Adventure DX too, for the most part. Sonic, Tails and Amy's stages were all getting from point A to point B (although Amy's was more its own thing), Knuckles was always Master Emerald hunting, E-102 was always shooting and Big was always fishing! If you're going to make a point against Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for lacking creativity in that regard then you would need to put it as a con for both games. :<
Kausa wrote:Select a stage.
Sonic Adventure: DX had Trial select which was totally the same thing! And what else were they supposed to do if the game didn't have Adventure fields? :<
Kausa wrote:Worse story line.
Arguable. I liked the story more because I liked Maria and Shadow. :3
Kausa wrote:More emblems and they are harder to get.
Since when are more emblems a bad thing? That just adds more replay value~! Being harder to get makes them more rewarding when you do get them too. :3 I remember it taking me so long to get an A rank on Cannon's Core, but when I did I was so happy. I totally felt like the most awesome girl in the world~!
Last edited by TheBlueEnigma on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

@ Golem:

Shadows fine I guess, hes a bit of a gary sue though. :/

Segas thinking process:
"Kids sure love Sonic, and hes fast and a hedgehog...Lets throw in another one! Durp durp"
><

He just seems...Uncreative, like a "dark and brooding" Sonic.
Like they wanted Sonic to appeal to the preteens who think they are, also, dark and brooding, so they turned him black and gave him a troubled past.

@TheBlueEnigma

I did like select a trial either. :/
Adventure fields rock, they shouldn't have taken them away.

What I meant was like...Of course those characters levels would be roughly the same, since its their levels.
I meant like, (at least) Eggman and Tails would do different things.
I understand all tails levels being the same, but not the same as Eggmans.

As far as listing Amy as a con, shes annoying and her levels suck and make me nervous. (I hate being chased)
Steel the Enchilada
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Location: We'll be destroyed, I feel annoyed... not overjoyed...... but maybe I'm just paranoid.... PEACE

Post by Steel the Enchilada »

TheBlueEnigma wrote:
Um.. That's how it was in Sonic Adventure DX too, for the most part. Sonic, Tails and Amy's stages were all getting from point A to point B (although Amy's was more its own thing), Knuckles' was always Master Emerald hunting, E-102 was always shooting and Big was always fishing! If you're going to make a point against Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for lacking creativity in that regard then you would need to put it as a con for both games. :<
What she means is that there was no exploring involved whatsoever, besides the last "Crazy Gadget" section. The levels were very straightforward, but that isn't always a good thing. Plus, there are explanations behind all of the characters game modes
(Sonic is obvious, Tails is slower than Sonic, so making it into a mode would work, Knuckles and Amy are obvious, Big keeps catching and losing Froggy, and E-102 has to use his guns), while Sonic Adventure 2 barely have any explanations, mostly in Eggman's and Tails's levels (Why the hell do they need to use walkers anyways).
TheBlueEnigma wrote:Sonic Adventure: DX had Trial select which was totally the same thing! And what else were they supposed to do if the game didn't have Adventure fields? :<
If it was totally the same thing, then there would be no Adventure Fields. In Sonic Adventure, you actually had to explore the Fields to find levels, some very hard (even on my second Super Sonic playthrough, I was completely lost as to what I was supposed to do), which makes replaying the whole game more fun.
TheBlueEnigma wrote: Since when are more emblems a bad thing?
She never said emblems were a bad thing, nor did I see any hint of implying it in her post.
TheBlueEnigma wrote:That just adds more replay value~! Being harder to get makes them more rewarding when you do get them too. :3 I remember it taking me so long to get an A rank on Cannon's Core, but when I did I was so happy. !
But the main difference is the levels were still fun in Sonic Adventure, plus the mini-games had almost half of all the emblems. In SA2, you had to beat the level once, then find one hundred rings (which was nary impossible on Tails's and Eggman's levels), then find a small ruin, then go through a speedrun, then you have to cope with harder levels. Add the fact that you have to A-rank the missions to earn all the emblems, and it basically becomes a chore to get them.

This is all based on opinion (well, most of it, anyways), so you might think otherwise.
GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by GOLEM »

Steel the Enchilada wrote:
TheBlueEnigma wrote: Since when are more emblems a bad thing?
She never said emblems were a bad thing, nor did I see any hint of implying it in her post.
she did, however, say that MORE emblems were a bad thing. Which also happens to be what tbe was talking about? actually, most of your interpretations of what kausa said...didn't actually look anything like what she'd meant. at all.

honestly, shadow really isn't a gary stu. people really really like throwing around that term when it really doesn't apply. like...at all. shadow was dark and brooding because that was his character. it made sense that if they were going to have a dark speed character since the game was broken in two, and a darker form of sonic made the most sense since it was pulled off the way they did. honestly, they did some fantastic things with shadow's character in that game and games after it, and it's really obvious the work they put in to make sure that people didn't think that he was some kind of thrown together "DARK IS COOL SO DARK PEOPLE WILL LIKE HIM" character...
TheBlueEnigma
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by TheBlueEnigma »

Okay, Kausa. I understand you a bit more now. You should have specified a bit more with your reasons. One thing though:
Kausa wrote:Shadows fine I guess, hes a bit of a gary sue though. :/
Shadow is totally not a Gary Stu! :< He is a very in depth and interesting character and totally my favorite in the entire series! If you want to know more about what makes him interesting you should look at my post about his relationships with Maria Robotnik and Rouge. It's totally worth reading. :3
Steel the Enchilada wrote:If it was totally the same thing, then there would be no Adventure Fields. In Sonic Adventure, you actually had to explore the Fields to find levels, some very hard (even on my second Super Sonic playthrough, I was completely lost as to what I was supposed to do), which makes replaying the whole game more fun.
I think you're going off on a tangent that is irrelevant to my original point. :<

My point was that 'Select a stage' shouldn't be listed as a Con for Sonic Adventure 2: Battle if Sonic Adventure DX has a feature that was exactly like it (Trial select). The lack of Adventure fields made Stage Select a necessary addition because otherwise you wouldn't be able to replay stages without playing through the entire Hero or Dark side's story again. If the Con was actually listed as 'No Adventure fields' I would understand, but it's not. :<
Steel the Enchilada wrote:She never said emblems were a bad thing, nor did I see any hint of implying it in her post.
When you list 'More emblems' under the Cons section you are kind of implying that? I don't get what your point is here. :<
Steel the Enchilada wrote:*stuff about Adventure 2 levels not being fun*

This is all based on opinion (well, most of it, anyways), so you might think otherwise.
I do think otherwise, so I'm not going to address it. Opinions are opinions~! I just prefer it when people explain their reasoning more thoroughly so that I can understand it better. I'm kind of stupid. Haha~!
Steel the Enchilada
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Location: We'll be destroyed, I feel annoyed... not overjoyed...... but maybe I'm just paranoid.... PEACE

Post by Steel the Enchilada »

A lot of words I don't quite understand, so I'll just end this with...

Everyone has their own opinions, it doesn't matter if someone thinks differently. If we didn't, then we'd be unfit to survive and would've most likely died out a long time ago.
octagonProfessor
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by octagonProfessor »

Steel the Enchilada wrote:(Sonic is obvious, Tails is slower than Sonic, so making it into a mode would work, Knuckles and Amy are obvious, Big keeps catching and losing Froggy, and E-102 has to use his guns), while Sonic Adventure 2 barely have any explanations, mostly in Eggman's and Tails's levels (Why the hell do they need to use walkers anyways).
well, Eggman has a reason, at last. he's certainly not going to use super speed or anything.

it's kind of worth noting that originally SA2 only had half the playable characters (Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman). later they decided to make Shadow playable. and then people complained about no apparently playable Tails. so I guess SEGA decided that every current character should have a counterpart in the form of Shadow, Rouge (Then known as "Nails"), and Tails (who was forced into a walker, because he's the only character with the technical know-how to rival Eggman)
keep the faith
wear a tuxedo

follow RAMPARDOS on twitter!
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

On the Shadow topic, I guess I wasn't very clear (Most likely because I post when I have no sleep and make no sense)
I like Shadow as a character, I just felt his presence in this game was a bit...Thrown in there.
They seem like they didn't put that much work into him till the end of his game, like he was only there so they could do the "good vs evil" thing and have the same levels.
(Although his story is well developed, of course his levels feel to much like Sonic's)
He felt like the same thing Tails did, they just kinda changed a good thing to make it fit.
>< And I still kinda think hes a bit of a Gary sue, only for the "I have a dark and troubling" past aspect, but you guys are right, sometimes we need characters like that.

One thing about Shadow that bugged me was that in the end of SADX, they made it seem like Sonic was SO special, being able to go super Sonic, (in theory, no one else could do that) then in SA2B Shadow can magically do it to?
Its kinda like in Kingdom Hearts, in the first one, Sora was so special being the keyblade wielder. Then it was, "oh wait, Riku can too! And Kairi! OH and Roxas and Namine and let's not forget how apparently 15 years ago anyone could."

Tails in the walker thing...I mean, couldn't some of his levels be him in his tornado or something? :/
I know he has a racing level but eh, its not that great other than ring farming.
I liked Tail's levels in SADX better, because they seem to put a story behind it.
He was always trying to do better than Sonic, so he raced him.
In SA2B hes in a walker...For no explained reason. (Wait, go ahead and correct that, I haven't played through in a few years, they might have explained)

it's kind of worth noting that originally SA2 only had half the playable characters (Sonic, Knuckles, and Eggman). later they decided to make Shadow playable
Uhh if your talking about the dreamcast version (not battle), then I think your wrong.
I have that game, and most of the differences are Chao based, and the removal of Big from 2-player.
If your talking about a Beta, then okay.
octagonProfessor
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by octagonProfessor »

I am obviously talking about the game's development. good job reading.
Kausa wrote:One thing about Shadow that bugged me was that in the end of SADX, they made it seem like Sonic was SO special, being able to go super Sonic, (in theory, no one else could do that) then in SA2B Shadow can magically do it to?
..except Tails and Knuckles can do it in S3&K as well, so it wasn't "only Sonic" by the time SA1 rolled around. he's just the best at it.

additionally, it's kind of hinted that Shadow may actually be based on Super Sonic. Gerald clearly found some Echidna ruins, as evidenced by his building the Artificial Chaos and the replica Emerald shrine. it's possible he may have seen the mural in Hidden Palace or one like it in the Mystic Ruins and based Shadow on that. even if he didn't, Shadow's clearly had his Chaos abilities artificially enhanced, so that could easily explain why he can go Super if we assume it's a special thing (which is might not be)

i am the professor, i am here to teach.
keep the faith
wear a tuxedo

follow RAMPARDOS on twitter!
TheBlueEnigma
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by TheBlueEnigma »

Kausa wrote:I like Shadow as a character, I just felt his presence in this game was a bit...Thrown in there.
Except he was the primary focus of the game's story for the most part? What you said doesn't make any sense. :<
Kausa wrote:One thing about Shadow that bugged me was that in the end of SADX, they made it seem like Sonic was SO special, being able to go super Sonic, (in theory, no one else could do that) then in SA2B Shadow can magically do it to?
You're totally forgetting Super Knuckles and Super Tails in the Genesis games. Super Tails you can argue against because it was a transformation with the Super Emeralds (because whether they are canon or not is arguable) but Super Knuckles is totally legit. Sonic hasn't been the only Sonic character with a Super form for a very, very long time. That, and Shadow is specifically designed by Professor Gerald to be the Ultimate lifeform. Why wouldn't he be able to transform?
Kausa wrote:Tails in the walker thing...I mean, couldn't some of his levels be him in his tornado or something? :/
Well technically he was in the Tornado 2 the entire time. Just transformed into the bipedal mech form that he dubbed the Cyclone. :3

Edit: Haha, the professor and I both kinda said the same thing.
Kausa
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Kausa »

>< Geeze, I knew I shouldn't had said anything about Shadow.
Its like saying Twilight is poorly written to a group of 12 year old girls.

You know what I mean about the tornado, like a plane. :/

Can you guys calm down a bit?
I don't like your favorite Character, so what, this my opinion.
GOLEM
Accomplished Chao
Accomplished Chao

Post by GOLEM »

Kausa wrote:Its like saying Twilight is poorly written to a group of 12 year old girls.
yeah except that one is pure fact.
naru13
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by naru13 »

I recently bought DX for GC, and I'm loving it, the chao gardens are better, just that I can't remove animal parts, and that you need to pay to make hero chao, I don't like dark chao much. I love playing the game gear games, sonic chaos FTW! and the final boss, it's more super sonic style, because you actually have to collect rings, unlike SA2 where you automaticly get 50 rings every hit you make to the biolizard. and I like "open your heart" more than "live and learn". but for music, as long as it's crush 40, I won't complain! And tail's levels in DX are WAAAYYYY better than in Battle, I like racing sonic so much, not shooting the crap outa metal thingys.
TeamAZ
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by TeamAZ »

Its dead even..... :darkhappy:
Every time I bring a girl home, you try to eat her! Its not fair!
BeautifulInBlue
Egg
Egg

Post by BeautifulInBlue »

SA2B > SADX. It's just the one that I find myself playing.
I like SADX's styline more, but SA2B has a better Chao World, even if the gardens aren't as good... :heroblink:
-Beautiful in Blue :D
Poyoshi
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by Poyoshi »

Personally, I prefer SADX over SA2B.
So now, I'll list every reason I can think of that I dislike/hate SA2B:

Getting emblems is a chore.
Shadow, IMO.
Tripping in chao races puts you in last place unless you have enough stats. Which I don't, because I like to get races/karate over with as soon as possible.
Camera is AWFUL. At least the one in DX didn't try to kill me.
The last battle between Eggman and Tails is stupid.
Eggman vs that statue thing battle is irritating.
Mystic Melody is required to find the lost chao.
Some power-up needed for Dry Lagoon hard mode.
No variety in levels.
Omochao gives the most obvious hints possible.
Homing attack refuses to work sometimes.
--EXAMPLE: In Green Forest, there's this standing GUN robot close by. If I homing attack, I get hit instead.
--EXAMPLE 2: In Pyramid Cave, I homing attacked a grab-ghost, which isn't even solid, and got grabbed. Then, the spiked ball hit me and I lost all my ~300 rings.
--EXAMPLE 3: Pyramid Cave again! I homing attacked an animal. Then I lost my ~250 rings. The only reason I still play this level is for the bats.
Ramps don't have static timing.
--EXAMPLE: I'll do the same ramp twice, and hit at about the same time, but I'll get a "Cool!" on one and an "Awesome!" on another.
Why the crap does Tails use a walker?
Tails and Eggman can't jump at all.
Emerald radar only detects emeralds in order.
Mad Space (I think that's Rouge's space level) has weird controls.
"So small! I like wide open spaces!"
Exiting in Chao Karate boots you back to story mode/stage select.
I can't copy files or chao data. (don't know if this problem is also in SADX for GC)

There's all I can think of.
Cooky
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Cooky »

I like SA2B a little better for two reasons. 1. Big isn't in it. (cameo) 2. Chao are easier to raise.
BUT I like SADX for 2 reasons. 1. Tails ISN'T in a walker. 2. Amy's actually independent and can be fun to play as. So in my opinion they're both awesome for their own reasons. :darkcool:
One day they love us because we're unique. The next we're in jail because we're different
BlackSoul
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by BlackSoul »

Even though I've never played SA2B because I only have SADX, I would prefer SA2B.

I've watched a lot of videos of it and it does look better than SADX.
~Because I can~
noahthechainaiac
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by noahthechainaiac »

SADX does have upsides like:
1. cooler looking races
2. cooler looking gardens
3. awesome animals
4. easier ring earnage

SA2B also has upsides like:
1. easier chao garden control
2. better storylines
3. you dont have to do idiotic stages like Big and Amy
4. you do NOT have to buy fruit from the chao market to make hero/neutral/dark chao.

It's too bad both of these games stand no chance against the game "Shadow The Hedgehog":
1. no chao garden period
2. gunz included
3. WAAAAAYYY better storylines
5. you choose what you want to do
7. you do not have to spend 50 hours trying to get all emblems, since there aren't any.
6. Last story is harder to unlock, thus, giving a challenge
4. you can unlock weapons and ending songs based on what you choose.
Image Click This Guy, Help Him Break Through the Shell of Life!

ImageHelp This Teeny Guy Break Through To The Outer World

http://www.gaiaonline.com/badge/2869622 ... a_mkt_=410
noahthechainaiac
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by noahthechainaiac »

Kausa wrote:I choose SADX over SA2B.

SADX pros:
Adventure field!
Better characters.
Easy Neutral Chao.
More creative gardens.
Bigs stages are fun, I dont care what you guys say. >< ("I caught a fish!!!")
Better story, well delivered.
Emblems are easier to get, and fun to find in the adventure field.
More fun to replay than SA2B is.
Extra minigames.
On the dreamcast, you could glitch one character into another's level. I thought how all the levels were connected was neat.

SADX cons:
Kill and pet being the same button. >.> (Who thought that was a good idea?)
Amy...Just...Amy.
Paying money to get hero/dark chao. (In its defense, the fruit aren't that much and their are money farming levels really close by.)
Glitchy in places.

SA2B pros:
Select a stage to take you to chao garden. (Hated that for the levels XD)
Chaos drives
More in depth chao
Harder to hurt your chao

SA2B cons:
Shadow.
No creativity in characters/levels. (Sonic/Shadow always a run stage, Tails/Eggman always a shooter, Knuckles/Rouge always searching. Couldn't the bad and good guys do different things?)
Select a stage.
Worse story line.
Shorter.
Harder to get into if you want to replay.
More emblems and they are harder to get.
D: No Big! (In normal game mode)

I like SADX better, but I still love both.
^_^
Shadow is EPIC and good riddance to Big. Always getting lure upgrades that aren't even needed.
Yes! Amy has no main story in SADX but there is actually a better story line in SA2B. SADX i found out who chaos really was before it even showed him in the flash back. SA2B had more variety in story line and with stages.
SADX: emblems are easier to get
Image Click This Guy, Help Him Break Through the Shell of Life!

ImageHelp This Teeny Guy Break Through To The Outer World

http://www.gaiaonline.com/badge/2869622 ... a_mkt_=410
Nano
Legendary Chaos Chao
Legendary Chaos Chao
Motto: My kickstarter failed, but that's okay!

Post by Nano »

I didn't like Shadow in SA2B.

I don't like Shadow anywhere.

I didn't like his story.

I didn't find him needed.

It felt rushed.

Elaborating on these reasons would be stupid because i'd obviously be countered with some reason that makes him some sort of in depth character. So even if he is, i don't see it.