SA2B GC: Is this only happening to me?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
MintyMyndi
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Hooray for Earth!

SA2B GC: Is this only happening to me?

Post by MintyMyndi »

Well, I've had my GameCube for more than a decade, and it's starting to show it.
Recently, the clicking/scratching noise it makes when reading a disc has gotten louder and more frequent. Occasionally, a game will lock up, the disc will start making noise, then a loud click, then the game continues. The whole thing takes about five seconds. Also, I get occasional lag, and the console usually makes noises frantically as it tries to make things happen. It's kind of sad. This hasn't been a major problem except for once last month, after having defeated all of the Chao Karate ranks with Myndi. I decided to pick her up from the blood pool, where she was swimming, but held B for a little too long as I turned around. This would've resulted in a brief cuddle under normal circumstances, but a split second after Tails started making the animation, a blue screen came up with a yellow text box in the middle. The text was in the same font and the box in the same style as the boxes in the game, so it was game-specific. It said that an error had occurred, and to turn the system off and follow the directions in the instruction booklet, which I no longer own. I don't know if this is something that I should be concerned about.
I had the disc cleaned (with equipment designed specifically designed for that task) for the first time in... how many years? and the lag became less frequent but it still seems like the GameCube has trouble reading the disc. I have not seen the error message above, but I have been touchy since. When I first saw Milky's family's insanely high intelligence, it scared me into thinking that the animation was being skipped. It turns out it's just the hidden grade being higher, and is now cool to see. But my most recent concern, and my reason for posting this, is on the stage select screen. When I power the system on or reset it, it does this only the first few times, if at all. Usually it's only the first time the screen is displayed in that session. I had first noticed that something was off on the screen, then caught on to the subtlest glitch ever. An animation exists that makes the highlighted level grow and shrink, but it wasn't happening. This is a regular thing. All I want to know is if anyone else has this happen on a regular basis, if they think it's something I should be concerned about, and if it happens on any other version. I do have a flat GameCube with Netflix Wii, so I'll see if this happens on that as well. Just help me figure out if further action needs to be taken to make sure my GameCube can read my discs.
Have you seen the alternate victory dance in Chao Karate?
http://youtu.be/dyxcEji3-0I (my video)
http://youtu.be/FpO6Wg84NiM (better quality, thanks to FrankT)
Ciao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: When life gives you lemons, ask for oranges.

Re: SA2B GC: Is this only happening to me?

Post by Ciao »

Sounds like your old 'cube is failing on you. 10 years will do that to any piece of hardware.
I would recommend the following:
-Buy the newest Wii you can find. It plays GC games, but will be more "fresh."
-Get a new SA2B disc. Your data will still be there as long as you keep the memory card.
-Speaking of the memory card, copy your SA2B and Chao data to a fresh Memory card, for back-up's sake.

I've never heard of that animation glitch though! I can't imagine a faulty disc would cause that, but I suppose it's possible.
MintyMyndi
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Hooray for Earth!

Post by MintyMyndi »

It is kind of dusty inside. I've asked my father to get some computer dusting stuff to try to help it out. He's sort of the computer expert here.

The main thing is that I want to know if the occasional animation skip is something that just happens sometimes. I know that earlier copies have a major Cannon's Core bug, but this is minor by comparison.
Have you seen the alternate victory dance in Chao Karate?
http://youtu.be/dyxcEji3-0I (my video)
http://youtu.be/FpO6Wg84NiM (better quality, thanks to FrankT)
Crash32
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao
Motto: <- Probably a reference to The Simpsons
Location: This is Tumblr, right? No pls don't be offended b-baka!!

Post by Crash32 »

I can't recall it ever happening for me, and I was using a used copy bought off eBay on a ~2008 Wii.
It also never occurs on the recent PC/PS3/XB360 Port