Best Shooter Character?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 3 years and 9 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.

Who was smoother?

E-102 Gamma
67%
Egg Walker
22%
The Cyclone
No votes
Chao Walkers
11%

Total votes: 9

Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Yosh!

Best Shooter Character?

Post by Ivogoji »

The Adventure duology's shooter gameplay modes have always had a mixed reception. Some have questioned their inclusion at all, while others have complained about the lack of fine tuning for the shooter stages between the first and second game.

In particular Tails' stages in SA2 attract criticism, not just for being different from Tails' gameplay in SA, but also for having clunkier controls and questionable stage design compared to what we had with Gamma. Gamma's stages were significantly more fast-paced and focused more on racking up points quickly. Tails' stages seemed to have an over abundance of puzzles or other obstacles designed to slow the player down while the clock was running.

On the other hand I find Eggman's stages strike a good balance between Gamma's speed and Tails' puzzle solving. Largely it's the stages themselves being better designed- they aren't just superior to Tails' stages, they're a significant improvement over Gamma's somewhat threadbare repurposing of other character's stages in SA- but I also think the Egg Walker controls a bit more smoothly compared to the Cyclone. It doesn't move with quite the same fluidness as Gamma, but it feels like it has just the right "weight" a walker tank should have, that sense of motion you'd expect from a vehicle with a driver inside it. Plus out of all the shooter stages in both games, Iron Gate and Cosmic Wall have to be favorites; heck, even out of all the other stages I'd probably consider those the best.

So which shooter character do you guys think was the best? Also curious to hear how the Chao Walkers stack up, since I never got to play SA2B's 2-player mode.
http://i53.tinypic.com/10xar6o.png
NachoThePikachu wrote:I WILL BE AN ADMINISTRATOR, RULING OVER CHAO ISLAND
except it WON'T BE CHAO ISLAND ANYMORE
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Badwilds
Child Chao
Child Chao

Re: Best Shooter Character?

Post by Badwilds »

If it's the question of smoothness, I think Gamma always has to come out on top here. Which is a little weird for me to say because I've always spent my days playing SA2 over SA1.

Maybe it just comes down to how significantly less annoying Gamma's lock-on beeping is, but other than that I do agree that Eggman's stages are better than Tails'. Tails stages are probably some of the weakest that SA2 has to offer. Mission Street in particular has always been a complete bore for me, with maybe one or two good moments. As for the Chao Walkers, I can't really speak on them, the last time I played SA2B's 2-player was as a kid, I haven't revisited it on the PC. From what I remember they're basically just re-skins? Except I think they're actually faster than both Eggman and Tails. Again, it's been years, so might be completely wrong on that. It's hard to get a feel for them though, or how they would play in an actual stage without using mods. If I remember correctly shooter stages in 2-player mode are just medium-sized arenas.

One point I will concede to the Egg Walker though, I think Cosmic Wall is probably my favorite shooter stage out of all of them. Lost Colony is good too.
  • hey man, ace930615 is the dude responsible for my avatar
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

can I pick shadow

At heart, I enjoy Gamma the most as far as his controls are concerned (minus the wheelchair mode that disallows going up stairs), but Eggman's stages from SA2 are easily the best designed.
I feel both Tails and Eggman are too slow in SA2 to be in a sonic game and properly keep the gameplay flow, but Eggman's stages really keep the "shoot everything" concept that Gamma's stages had, minus the annoying time limits attached to them, with it being replaced with you just getting a better score.

This all said, the Chao Walker from the 2P mode is very fast (along with Tails' extra costume, if I remember correctly), and I feel they should be the base used for the main game,
and I'm not sure whether I'd say they're superior to Gamma, since they make it feel much faster and more like it fits in with the game.

Levels like Mission Street, with long hallways, roads, and such, benefits from this kind of thing to make the level more fun to play. Since there's mods to change to the 2P characters in the 1P stages, I definitely had more fun in those stages when I experimented with them.

Even without these things, Cosmic Wall is definitely a solid level.

Badwilds wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:40 am From what I remember they're basically just re-skins? Except I think they're actually faster than both Eggman and Tails.
Very close. The Chao Walker is faster than the two (and does less damage). But the Dark Chao Walker is slower than everyone else, but does more damage.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Now I wanna try playing with Chao Walkers in the action stages... as soon as I get my laptop fixed.

And I agree about Eggman's stages giving the player more targets to shoot at.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
Badwilds
Child Chao
Child Chao

Post by Badwilds »

chaoadventures wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:01 am Very close. The Chao Walker is faster than the two (and does less damage). But the Dark Chao Walker is slower than everyone else, but does more damage.
Ahh, that makes sense. I tended to only play as the regular Chao Walker as a kid anyway so that's why my memory got skewed. Interesting! I'll have to play as them in the stages sometime soon, too.
  • hey man, ace930615 is the dude responsible for my avatar
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Now, question is, are the Dark Chao Walker's stats the same as Big in SA2DC?

As for the original question, its been so long since I've played the Adventure Duology that I can't really compare Tails and Eggman, though I will agree that the slow down compared to Gamma was one thing SA2 failed to refine the gameplay style over SA1. Too bad Gamma had like one real level with everything else being a small segment of someone else's level.
Ivogoji
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Ivogoji »

Since Big was piloting Eggman's walker I would assume their controls are the same, but there might be some adjustments.
Jeffery Mewtamer wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:00 pm Too bad Gamma had like one real level with everything else being a small segment of someone else's level.
That's my biggest complaint about Gamma.
IT'LL BE BANANA ISLAnD
ZaxentoTheGreedy
Egg
Egg
Motto: Remember Kids! I have Cash Moneys and you don't! :D

Post by ZaxentoTheGreedy »

Gamma is best Character smoothness-wise as he happens to be less of a pain to turn or move with, i don't mind the "Wheels" form thing much as its kind of a Risk reward situation for the Speedy Shooter. (It'd be even better if the other four "levels" were longer so that it could work better)

Eggman is best Level-Wise of course, and happens to have much more tolerable controls than tails, but by not very much.

Though in my Opinion, i dislike the Chao Walkers as even the speed one has the turning slow-down issues.

Tails is trash, nothing more.
1sonicorshadow1
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Drive me closer! I want to hit them with my sword!

Post by 1sonicorshadow1 »

The Chao Walkers were about roughly equivalent to Tails and Eggman in multiplayer, I think they had less HP but it's been so long I can't really remember.

Overall, though, I didn't really feel drawn to any of the shooter characters in particular and liked all the stages, but facing either Tails or Eggman at the end of SA2 was one hell of a cheap boss fight. Multiplayer powers like the power laser in such a closed space? What're you supposed to do to deal with it? Oh yeah.

DIE.