Tips on beating King Boom Boo?

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 5 years and 3 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Woahsmea
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Everyone wants a Chaos Chao, whilie I want a Sonic Chao

Tips on beating King Boom Boo?

Post by Woahsmea »

I always rage when he's on the wall. :chaoangry:
dam I joined like 3 years ago lol
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Re: Tips on beating King Boom Boo?

Post by PinkIceFox »

It's been a while so let me just boot up the game and run through him a couple times to refresh my memory so I can give you some pointers! I tend to have more trouble when he's not climbed up the wall, honestly. xD

*literally gets the game out and plays a bit I'm serious. It's 3:30 in the morning and I have insomnia so why not*

First of all: Never glide during this fight. I've found it's too slow to be of any real use. Even when you've knocked him out of the wall and Knuckles is high above him, it's better to just drop down and hug the inside of the loop to catch up to the ghost.

Okay, so once you've got him spooked by the sunlight and he turns to his shadow form, it's always going to move away from Knuckles. I noticed that during the middle two times (when I didn't manage to hit him twice in one go) he always seems to head to the wall. On top of that, I found when I overshot his shadow running around the floor he would often head straight for the wall once his trembling animation stopped when I wasn't fast enough to get back to him. The best way to handle King Boom Boo's shadow going up the wall is to have Knuckles climb up from right below him. King Boom Boo's AI tells it to head straight up to get away the fastest in this scenario... however the wall does not go up very high so he will get stuck and won't be moving too far to the left or right as long as you're nearly centered under him. Once Knuckles is over King Boom Boo's shadow, it will stop moving (for at least a bit, I've not waited on top of it for too long before digging) to give you a chance to strike.

If you wanna try to hit him 2 times before the sunlight gets blocked again like I mentioned, it's pretty tricky. You have to have dug out his shadow early enough to have plenty of time before the lights go out again. When he first pops out of hiding he moves slow enough for Knuckles to run up and punch him easily. However after that point King Boom Boo takes off much more quickly. To have any hope of hitting him now you have to hug the inner wall of the ring until knuckles has practically ran past him and then punch him. It's not easy though. I only managed to do it once during the runs around the stage.

I dunno if the mechanics are different between versions of the game, but for reference I'm playing the GameCube version of Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Woahsmea
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Everyone wants a Chaos Chao, whilie I want a Sonic Chao

Post by Woahsmea »

Thanks! :chaohappy:
dam I joined like 3 years ago lol
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

You're very welcome! I hope my advice helps you out!

I've played the game so much it's nice to help out and use my knowledge for a change. :darkhappy:
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Doomstick
Egg
Egg
Motto: Be humble, but keep your pride.

Post by Doomstick »

https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveDeafBaboonNerfBlueBlaster

^Twitch hightlight done by me a couple days ago on my new PowerA controller which I find ENTIRELY too sensitive for my liking (hence why I'm darting side to side like a rabid animal all the time, I can barely control Knux on this thing. I'm used to Gamecube controllers.)

Always try to punch from behind him, but generally speaking, stick to the inner wall when the lights are on, stick to the outer wall when the lights are off, and he's chucking fire at you. In the second phase when he starts chasing you quickly and chomping at you, try to stick around the middle.

Don't do a 3-combo punch. You lose too much speed. Do a single punch ONLY, and again, ALWAYS try to punch while BEHIND him. Then get right back to the wall, and get slowly move up to his side again. If done properly, you can easily get a 2-hit in one cycle, 3 when you get better, and you can one-cycle him when you're good enough. Though that timing is EXTREMELY strict and admittedly took me like five tries or something.

EDIT: Well that got necro'd I guess. My bad. Still, it applies.
I've got a good capture card, a Wii, a Gamecube, and the Steam versions of SADX and SA2B. As well as a fair amount of knowledge under my belt. So, basically, I'm down to help with whatever. DM me or Discord me or something; just ask away and I'll see what I can help with. Currently seeking a mod to restore Dreamcast Shiny Jewel Chao on Steam..