Why SA1 wasn't good enough about the Chao Garden.

This is the forum for discussion about the Sonic Adventure series (originally for Dreamcast and GameCube)! That's SA1, SA2, SADX, and SA2B! Post here for help, or just general chat about it!
Warning! This topic is 2 years and 5 days old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Tails Prower
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: just a dumb argentinian doing stuff

Why SA1 wasn't good enough about the Chao Garden.

Post by Tails Prower »

Hello.
Here i will explain my own reason of why SA1DC didn't was good about the Chao. If you think that is for something different, comment! I will try to change and give you credit!

So, SEGA maked SA1 and introduced the Chao. Here's the deal: There wasn't much to do here; just hatch eggs, grab Chao and feed it. Because of the simplism* (*: Simplism: Invented word for saying that something is simplist. Post any mistake i made on this post.) of this, this game was not good enough and didn't gain popularity. You could do only these things:

Hatch egg.
Grab Chao and throw it (You couldn't pet it! D:).
Give food to Chao.
Give animals (?).
Make him run races.
Evolve (?).

If SEGA worked a bit more on it, probably the game would be better. Luckily, in SADX, they added these things and some from SA2! (Alignment, probably Chaos Drives...).

And, for finish, as every game, it haved bugs. And one that is a bit interesting, is when you transfer a Chao from SA1 to SA2! When you put a Chao on the VMU machine, sometimes it says that the transfer was succesfull. BUT when displays "Error", and you play SA2 and pick up your Chao, it would be HORRIBLY glitched! You could transfer Chaos between these game if the SA1 transfer doesn't say Error! I tested this with Reicast. I tried the glitch and the VMU screen displayed Ok!, i pick the Chao and no glitch! But when it displayed "Error", i picked up a complete mutation! (Glitch solved on GameCube remasters)

That's why (for me) SA1 wasn't popular.
Why we cannot have a Sonic Adventure 3? I mean... it could be cool...stop saying werid things, SEGA, and make the freaking sequel!!
:thinking: :herosurprise: :darkblink:
Londi
Youth Chao
Youth Chao
Motto: Who actually reads these?

Re: Why SA1 wasn't good enough about the Chao Garden.

Post by Londi »

I honestly cannot tell if you're saying Sonic Adventure wasn't popular because the Chao Garden sucked, or the Chao Garden just wasn't popular because it sucked. Whatever you were trying to say, I agree that Sonic Adventure's Chao system is extremely primitive and barely a step above Nights Into Dreams' Nightopians. It suffers from what I'll call 'First-Time Syndrome' meaning it'll suck compared to future iterations because there was no framework of what would or wouldn't work, similar to, for example, Sonic 1 against Sonic 2/3&K. Only after the Chao Garden came out did they improve and innovate on the formula, making the original system look outdated and crappy.

That doesn't excuse Sonic Adventure's failures though, the Chao 'HP system' is moronic and works against you every time, it's already hard enough to grab a hold of things in this game, and running the risk of killing a Chao because the game decided to put you in a spindash instead is infuriating. The Chao also just suck, there's nothing interesting for them to do or play with, which almost makes the gardens look quite sad. The races, my god the races, they manage to be both boring and infuriating, a perfect combination. At the end of their life cycle your Chao are probably just gonna die anyway for no good reason, even if you did manage to take good care of them.