Liberals and Conservatives are both stupid for one reason.

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 10 years and 8 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Liberals and Conservatives are both stupid for one reason.

Post by Triert »

For a while I've always felt like a liberal, mainly because I could never really agree with all suppression the right wing brings with it. At the same time, I also look at a lot of Conservative, republican, and right wing thoughts

Do I think a lot of what they say is homophobic, racist, and practically spewing with motivating people into a revolution? Of course! Do I also believe they have a point to a few topics? Indeed that can happen, it's always occurred to me. I'm all for owning a gun, as long as background checks are a thing. I can understand why religious views are what they are, but I also think the elderly need to shut up once in a while when they become outright WBC levels of hate speech.

Obama isn't the greatest thing since sliced cheese, but Bush is the person who rightfully deserves a lot more punching for his Patriot Act.

The point of this first post, and what I hope will be another political topic where after realizing one simple thing.

Everybody is wrong, but if we all work together we can be right.

So as far as I'm concerned, just call me an Independent.
Last edited by Triert on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Augustine
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Thunder Fang! See you never.

Re: Liberals and Conservatives are both stupid for one reaso

Post by Jack Augustine »

I'm an Independent/Democrat, but I know that liberals AND conservatives will be offended by this, right from the title.
Triert
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Triert »

This is an independent topic, so I'm pretty sure we can all just sit down with poutine and maple syrup. Then have a nice discussion about very good points we can all share and discuss with each other. Making sure we realize the good and bad of our decisions and realize when the good can out weight the bad enough to come to a complete decision. Or sometimes, realize a necessary evil be temporarily be put into place. Or even realize that we don't need to push our beliefs onto others, when we can share them and find out what would work best instead of put all of our hope into one person and hope they get it right.
Gondi
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao

Post by Gondi »

A very true quote that I like by John Kenneth Galbraith is "Politics is not the art of the possible. It consists in choosing between the disastrous and the unpalatable."
thatguyinthecorner
Advanced Chao
Advanced Chao
Motto: Team Harvard Assemble!

Post by thatguyinthecorner »

They are both wrong for one simple reason:
They are politicians.

I am prepared to get shot for that, but seriously. Politicians.
"A girl walks up to you and starts dancing and you walk away? What are you, gay, drunk, high...?"

"~~~AA-SEXUAL~~!"

^and that was the greatest exchange of my year.
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

The problem with mainstream US politics is that most politicians are for the Rich ruling over the masses with an iron fist, with the biggest difference detween the two major factions being whether they openly give the masses the proverbial middle finger or hide behind a mask of trying to help the masses. Couple this with a largely apathetic or undeucated voter population, and you have a recipe for a status quo that is detrimental to a prosperous middle class.

I personally lean towards economics where people work for the mutual benefit of all rather than greedily seeking self-advancement coupled with government whose authrity is limited to what is needed to protext the weak from the malicious.
Lamby
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao
Motto: running this block, running the chain gang

Post by Lamby »

At the same time, Triert, be careful not to fall prey to the Golden Mean Fallacy:
asserts that any given compromise between two positions must be correct. An individual demonstrating the golden mean fallacy implies that the positions being considered represent extremes of a continuum of opinions, and that such extremes are always wrong, and the middle ground is always correct.
While compromise is sometimes good, it will not always accomplish what needs to be done, and often only keeps us complacent or the politicians sitting on the fence while the average person gets short changed or held hostage while politicians take baby steps. Additionally, anyone educated enough in politics will make issue based decisions, not blanket decisions.

That said, I consider myself socially and economically progressive. I refuse to support a concession in a compromise that will harm or hinder the little guy or restrict their civil rights. I also believe the government has a responsibility to provide a safety net. I'm also for an economic system the likes of what Jeffrey mentioned.
Last edited by Lamby on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Oh baby won't you stop it/you and I haven't got it
Television romance "
EvilPinkamina
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: $5.99

Politics are stupid and you are stupid for making a topic

Post by EvilPinkamina »

**** politics, they're broken as ****.
Triert wrote: I remember the old days when people would get shaped up by criticism and in turn be a better person.
Smashboards: EvilPinkamina
Discord: Pinka #5535
Twitter: @PinkDandere
cinnamonstyx
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by cinnamonstyx »

who cares
eboy's seme
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Linds 269 »

^ p much. at least at this point.
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
Rajikaru
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by Rajikaru »

Personally I think Communism is probably the closest to a good social structure and political system we could've ever had, and if we had taken it to heart an perfected it, it could've lead to better lives for thousands of people, but everything that seems perfect would have flaws

But yeah
TechnoGeisha wrote:who cares
Tumblr | Steam | Twitter | Song of the week: Alice Nine - Tsubasa
chocohugs
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a minute of thought is worth a lifetime of effort

Post by chocohugs »

TechnoGeisha wrote:who cares
tumbl - twittr | avatar by tsui
(15:29:10) Jack_Augustine has never been hugged by a girl before
Jeffery Mewtamer
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao
Motto: Sightless Scholar

Post by Jeffery Mewtamer »

Well, this topic went to hell faster than expected.

@AtomicBat: While fallaceous arguements are fallaceous, the Golden Mean fallacy sounds like an improvement over how mainstream politics tends to reduce every issue to a false dilemma. Acknowledging that there is a third option is certaintly a step in the right direction, at for those who fail to realize that, in most cases, the options are infinite or at least very numerous.
CelebiLv6
Courageous Chao
Courageous Chao

Post by CelebiLv6 »

I'm in the middle, I agree with *some* liberal things, but I'm growing up in a conservative family. I mostly agree with conservative beliefs I guess, except for everything limiting others,(gay marriage illegalization, etc,)

So, I guess I'll just leave a reaction picture here to show how I feel.
Spoiler:
hello.
i was 9 or so when i used this account actively.
please disregard anything posted.
Firebird1282
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Firebird1282 »

Not really one for politics. Too much drama and lies, I just consider myself moderate or just say I have no party association.
Spies? Sappin' my sentries?!?!