Making and streaming a Chao Island Chao Garden!

Talk about anything Chao related here!
Warning! This topic is 7 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Making and streaming a Chao Island Chao Garden!

Post by Mooncow »

Branching out to try and inject some life not just into Chao Island, but into the Chao Community! I'll be starting to work on a Chao Garden while working through Sonic Adventure 2 (the original plan was just to document all the secret Chao locations for CI but looks like this could be quite fun).

I'll happily take requests from the forum or the stream chat if you want to be in the garden/what you want to look like - if there gets too many (doubt there will be judging from current activity) I will "purge" inactive Chao or maybe make them all race and the bottom three Chao leave the garden.

If there's interest I can do it often - I've changed job now and have a bit more time to work on the site. So if interested, post, spread the word and I'll whip up a schedule that will suit people.

Everyone has spent a lot of time with Chao, so I'm hoping it will be as entertaining to interact with everyone and a garden. Let me know what sort of things you would like to see or imagine from a Chao stream - not just limited to Chao raising but also experimenting, and forum related stuff.

Will have official Chao Island twitch URL in signature.
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
toffyflame
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: SA2 is what I do!

Re: Making and streaming a Chao Island Chao Garden!

Post by toffyflame »

that sounds awesome, I have a channel called the chao show and we'd love to add your streams to our videos, we also have a group that we've currently added moderation to, so can you maybe work with us, I know we only just started in 2014 but you can trust us :walkto:
https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/103448481 ... 8371648740
Sonic Adventure 2 is what I do! wish me luck on the road to 180 Emblems :surprise:
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

I think you added the Chao Island Google+ page to that group! and definately, I think the remaining Chao groups/websites should all try to work together :cool:

Could even stream non Chao co-op games with other forum members which could be fun
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
Rinku
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: I like making friends :3

Post by Rinku »

This is a GREAT Idea, followed and want to know when you are ganna stream. I really want to see a revival of the chao garden. I make videos and would love to help with the stream or maybe even stream along side you sometime, that is if you don't mind.

I'm assuming you havn't already streamed because there are no past broadcasts but I will be waiting to watch anything chao related.

Also are there any other big chao communities thay anyone knows about except the chao steam group/google+ and chao studios? I'v been curious lately if there is a Japanese chao audience at all.
Rinku's personal Discord - http://rinkutalks.pro/image/dcover.png
πŸ”₯ Twitch Livestream - http://www.twitch.tv/rinkutalks (β—‘β€Ώβ—‘βœΏ)
(β•―Β°β–‘Β°)β•―οΈ΅ ┻━┻ Twitter - https://twitter.com/RinkuTalks
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

Haven't streamed yet! Getting the dreamcast updates out of the way on the website so I don't start mixing things up when I start experimenting with generation 2 Chao.

The first step is to create Chao for the garden - I might purge the current garden I have and start fresh - which means 2 new Chao eggs.
Not sure what to call them, maybe Funky G and ... Fusion ... from Chapter One of the book of Blade Genesis.

Also, I want to create a Chao Race Championship - sponsored by Chao Island - available to enter by everyone! This is possible due to Fusions Chao Editor and .chao files! Exactly how to qualify and win will need to be decided on - as well as demand!
DarkyBenji
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher
Motto: An Artist that is also a Modder

Post by DarkyBenji »

Mooncow wrote:Haven't streamed yet! Getting the dreamcast updates out of the way on the website so I don't start mixing things up when I start experimenting with generation 2 Chao.

The first step is to create Chao for the garden - I might purge the current garden I have and start fresh - which means 2 new Chao eggs.
Not sure what to call them, maybe Funky G and ... Fusion ... from Chapter One of the book of Blade Genesis.

Also, I want to create a Chao Race Championship - sponsored by Chao Island - available to enter by everyone! This is possible due to Fusions Chao Editor and .chao files! Exactly how to qualify and win will need to be decided on - as well as demand!
Chao Race Championship ? welp i'm ready for this
but sadly in the pc version you can only race 2 chao in party race

so it's 1v1 until the final ? like a tournament ?
───────────────────────────────────────────────────
Youtube β‘Š Other Mods β‘Š DeviantArt Image
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

This revelation that I was not aware of has devastated me (no party race in PC) - that is a feature that could have truly made the game popular!
1v1 knockout seems long and maybe dull... hmmmm.... I could do it via fastest laps - but it removes the drama.

I will have some other contests though, e.g. freakest looking chao, cutest chao

So the update is, i've been testing mic and stream levels and so far so good, but I really want the forum upgrade to happen this month so my time is divided right now
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "you wanna play with gabario?"

Post by chaoadventures »

Don't make me turn on my Wii and get my champion out.
He's to stronk for y'all. Well, he would be if he didn't reincarnate all ready...

But seriously, alternatives for using the PC version that I can think of are:

- Getting the tools to stream from an actual GC/Wii.
(And convert the files backwards with a homebrew Wii.)

- Go the weird legality route and use Dolphin.
(More backwards conversion, and you'd have to get an ISO for the games it. And a relatively strong computer.)

Unfortunately, from what I've been told converting PC to GC is a lot iffy-er than GC to PC, but it works.

I don't even know the status of GC/Steam save to SADX 2004 or if it has 4 player races either.

And, now that I think about it, are the races intended to be played on SA2B or SADX?

Either way, I do like the idea of this.

- - -
Rajikaru wrote:You're clinically insane.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

The vague legality with emulation seems to be regularly neglected on streaming sites, so I doubt it would be a big problem. Cost-wise, recording devices for standard AV cables are cost effective, but don't look very good unless you really want to throw down money. VGA is only an option on Dreamcast, and while 360 and PS3 have HDMI output, the devices for recording them aren't cheap.

Is it not possible that one of the modders could expand party races on PC? It may require a separate program, like Fusion's editor, but it sounds possible.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
DarkyBenji
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by DarkyBenji »

Mooncow wrote:This revelation that I was not aware of has devastated me (no party race in PC) - that is a feature that could have truly made the game popular!
actually pc version have party race, only show on 2p battle mode
Crazo3077 wrote: Is it not possible that one of the modders could expand party races on PC? It may require a separate program, like Fusion's editor, but it sounds possible.
i tried to expland party race on pc but failed
maybe i should try again later

or we can edit chao bot, i have address for all chao both in my cheat engine, but that will take so much time (more than 1 hours)
Last edited by DarkyBenji on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao
Motto: Know both sides of the story before you assume.

Post by ChaoGardenBuster »

I honestly recommend doing this on PC and streaming it, there is a way to have up to 8 chao in a race that can compete against each other via editing chao bots but doing it that way means you can't boost. So the whole race thing could be still possible with the other contest being side contests? I mean I've made it possible so I could vs my own chao in the race.
Spoiler:
(Also take note that this is a VERY slow process)

EDIT: Netplay in the chao world could be an option but that would basically just cut off everyone who plays on GC (and so does editing chao bots.) Also there is still a lot of connectivity issues that could be frustrating during the live stream.
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

If we use bots, we can't see what place each Chao is at.
Especially if the player Chao is in 8th (From like, tripping twice or something.), then we can't see anything at all.

- - -
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

chaoadventures wrote:If we use bots, we can't see what place each Chao is at.
Especially if the player Chao is in 8th (From like, tripping twice or something.), then we can't see anything at all.
Well there is a map too. Also it can be possible to switch the camera on each chao like it does with party race, just need to find the address.
DarkyBenji
Chao Researcher
Chao Researcher

Post by DarkyBenji »

ChaoGardenBuster wrote:
chaoadventures wrote:If we use bots, we can't see what place each Chao is at.
Well there is a map too. Also it can be possible to switch the camera on each chao like it does with party race, just need to find the address.
there another problem buster
if the player reach the goal, the race is over
in party race, the race is over when ALL chao reach the goal
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

Yes this is most unfortunate. As for the idea of streaming DC/GC garden - it's then missing the vital part which is the use of .chao files and fusions editor to make it easy to transfer people's Chao!
Editing the Chao bots could work... but as mentioned it is still too much emphasis on the player Chao and unfair if it finishes before the rest (and not very exciting when trying to see how the other Chao are doing)

Also I should note, I can't wait to eventually use Chao Garden Extended on stream! :chaohappy:
SketchLite5
Chaos Chao
Chaos Chao

Post by SketchLite5 »

Well, glad to see Mooncow isn't dead (since I hasn't seen him active much). I just followed the CI twitch stream so now I can watch it when it begins. I'm curious if the stream are just going be videos playing or Mooncow playing with or without a mic and/or cam.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

It will be interactive so definitely a mic and cam if needed. Any plain videos I can upload to youtube.

To start with I'll be streaming general stuff to test the stream quality and sound levels, and get used to the best way of interacting with everyone - delay/lag etc. Will find the best time to suit everyone too!
ChaoGardenBuster
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Mooncow wrote:It will be interactive so definitely a mic and cam if needed. Any plain videos I can upload to youtube.

To start with I'll be streaming general stuff to test the stream quality and sound levels, and get used to the best way of interacting with everyone - delay/lag etc. Will find the best time to suit everyone too!
Wait so when will we be sending our chao in? Will it be a mix of all our chao or mostly your chao in your new garden and some of ours? (Also i'm really excited for the tournaments!!)
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

It won't be right away! There will have to be interest built up first. What will probably happen is peopel will send in their .chao file and I will upload them, and keep them in the gardens.
PinkIceFox
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: MOONS AND MUSHROOMS

Post by PinkIceFox »

I am totally into chao right now do it do it do it do it.

Post a thread with screenshots sometime. I love screenshots.

I have no way to participate besides just loving chao and stuff though.
Darn kids and their boost mode. In my day we had Spin Dash for speed AND WE LIKED IT.
100% Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, YEEHAW. Also ow, my sanity. But also yeehaw.
I need a new chao game like I need oxygen. Sega bby plz
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

Thanks! Thanks for everyone that has tuned in and been interacting too, it's going quite well even though I've only done two streams so far.
Yesterday was about 5 hours long and future ones will be about 3-4 hours probably.
I'm going on holiday this week so not sure if i'll be able to stream until next week. After that I'll make it a lot more regular.

Forgot to take screenshots of the Chao though :cry:
GravityGames
Newborn Chao
Newborn Chao
Motto: That one guy that raises Chao in SADX

Post by GravityGames »

Hey, I was just wondering if the Chao Race has happened yet, and if not, if there's still time to submit a Chao. I've been getting back into the Chao Garden the last few weeks (oddly enough, at around the time the first stream seems to have happened at), and watching a Chao Race tournament sounds like a lot of fun. Also, out of curiosity, what Chao count as hacked? I mean, obviously the one Tails Chao I hacked to get would obviously not be allowed, but would an otherwise legitimately trained Chao be allowed if hacking tools were used to transfer the chao file from one of the GameCube Chao Gardens to the PC Chao Garden (I personally prefer using the GameCube gardens due to being able to use the Tiny Chao Garden to train Chao on the go, but would be able to use the PC version of either SADX or SA2B if need be)? Oh, and while I do assume that the Chao Race would be in the SA2B Chao Garden, are Chao raised in the SADX Chao Garden or transfered between the two games allowed? I figured I'd ask just to be safe. In either case, I'm looking forward to seeing the future streams!
chaoadventures
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by chaoadventures »

^The Race hasn't started and entries haven't been opened yet. Additonally, the rules (e.g. Are hacked chao allowed) haven't been announced yet either.
Mooncow said he planned to release info about the Race after Christmas, so I assume the rules will be announced soon. Good to see interest in the Race though.

- - -
Sim_Chao
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: Keep Calm, and Farm Drives!

Post by Sim_Chao »

Is there a division for chao with low-level stats? If so, I want Akatosh to compete.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Mooncow »

I was planning to have world championship qualifiers open for anyone and everyone, so there will be a big mix. But maybe I will had a special competition where all stats have to be lower than a certain total, I really like that idea.

As for races update: new forum on the brink of launching so that has been taking up my time. Chao Island Race Championships are in the works though.