Chao Island Archival

Talk about things not related to Sonic or Chao. Talk about other stuff!
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 2 weeks old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: The War Against Roaches is over...

Chao Island Archival

Post by CasualCollision »

So because of the news that Mooncow will be closing several boards and may make the threads in them inaccessible indefinitely, I've taken matters in my own hands, and have started to archive every single thread that I have posted in. I'm doing this mainly because I have fond memories of this place, and I'd hate to see a big chunk of my history here go away, perhaps for good. I'm also doing it to reflect on how I've grown as a person thanks to this place. Being a part of the Chao Island community was probably the first time I ever truly felt like I fit in, as well as where I made friends with so many people. Although I can't say I'm proud of the way I've behaved in the past, and I don't enjoy seeing the cringey antics I was up to when I was a kid, it's still endearing to see how I gradually made bonds with the members of this community, some of which I still know today.

While it goes without saying that I disagree with the direction that Mooncow is taking with this site, I thank him for at least providing a method of saving thread posts in an efficient manner that doesn't diminish readability. I've been searching through all of my old posts in print view and saving the html to my computer with incredibly tiny filesizes to boot. This method has lead me to be able archive my posts at a reasonable speed, and I might actually be able to finish by the time Mooncow begins to put his changes into effect. I'm letting my efforts be known so that perhaps other users will contribute to the effort of archiving the forums in case Mooncow doesn't deem it worth it to make these posts accessible in the future, or if this iteration of CI goes away entirely. I may even provide a download to the threads that I have downloaded so far in case anybody is interested of keeping a copy of an archive for themselves, and to read through at their leisure. Believe me when I say that there is some pretty amusing stuff that I have uncovered.
Linds 269
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Re: Chao Island Archival

Post by Linds 269 »

That'd be great if you provided a download honestly. I would archive so much myself if I had the time
(19:42:34) chaosulitmaster: I find it so creppy that with a IP adress, you can find yuor hoes within a 15-20 mile radius. >.>
(18:57:45) Omelet: I AM INSERTING IT (13:17:50) Omelet: I DID INSERT IT
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

I most likely will, unless I can think of a compelling reason not to. If I finish archiving all of my posts, I'll then archive stickies and other very long topics as a stretch goal.
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Also remember that the date set will be when the forums are locked. They will still remain visible until at least the new site launch (and whether they are removed, hidden, or archived elsewhere is still under discussion).
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
CasualCollision
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Oh, okay. Thanks for the clarification!