Making an offline source Chao guide

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 6 years and 1 week old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Making an offline source Chao guide

Post by UltimaNumber »

I may have said this on a few occasions, but I've been working on a Chao Guide for years, and it's meant to be an offline source, full of information that I know is true and has been tested by myself. I'm sure some people wanted to make something like this, but it's only filled with information directly from sites and this is a problem for both them and the site. But I've written everything in my own words and comments if any. This document is currently Text-Only, but has never been released because I only want to do so when it's actually not a mess of unorganized info and is aesthetically pleasing. Even if I don't release it, that's fine, as I can still use it to aid me without internet access.

As for why I'm sharing this, I feel like it can be a pain for those who have no internet access or have the time to read all the various info on Chao Island here and there, especially since a lot is going to be added to this site. Even if anyone wanted to gather information, it gets a bit messy for them if they decide to put the information on a notepad or something and it ends up with a bunch of notepads not organized in any way, not even necessarily from this site either. With everything in this guide only sharing what is tried and true, it's good check on what is yet to be tested!

I haven't decided yet how I'm going to release this document, or if I should release it at all, or if this guide should be text-only or filled with pictures. If you have any comments on this, like where or how or if this should be released, please let me know!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs
azureprism
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao
Motto: without memes i will die

Re: Making an offline source Chao guide

Post by azureprism »

If it's not too much work, would it be a good idea to release it in text-only and text-and-image formats? I'd personally prefer text and images, but some people might find it more convenient to be just text.

Somebody a little while ago wanted me to post pictures of what fully-evolved Chao look like in SA1DC after I mentioned what happened to my Neutral/Run/Run, but I never got around to it. If I manage to do some fiddling around in Chao Editor and whip up as many pictures as I can to compare the Chao to their SA2DC and beyond appearances, would they be useful? Before I forget, I've also got a couple pictures of the SA1 fruits in better quality than the ones currently in CI's SA1 section.
UltimaNumber
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: I'm just a number

Re: Making an offline source Chao guide

Post by UltimaNumber »

Do text only and text and pictures? Sure! That would mean typing my guide in two different wordings most likely, but it would be easier just to do both formats then to decide on only one to choose!
As for if I want to accept pictures by others, well, I don't have a Dreamcast, but I can emulate it at the very least on NullDC. But having pictures from the Dreamcast instead of an emulated one would certainly be better quality!

Spritesheets I'm making will also be a part of my picture filled guide! I still need help though. As long as someone has two VMUs, they can help! Currently I'm missing in Adventure 1; Light Chaos Chao fighting from the left side, winding up punch, hitting, missing, dodging if that's even possible in a link battle. (English, as that has the Chaos Chao Garbled). For all we know it could count as a different sprite, maybe even revealing another unused sprite!

Sprites I can't rip in Adventure 2: Multiplayer Sprites. Yeah, basically, since I'm emulating and can't get ElysianVMU to run multiplayer, I can't rip multiplayer unique sprites or find out what multiplayer can do for that matter without help.

On the note of ripping sprites, if someone knows how to look at the coding of VMU games and can view "Tiles" like VisualBoyAdvance can, that would instantly end the mystery of all sprites that may or may not exist!
Always happy to see Number and his 12 daughters and 6 sons.

My YouTube stuffs