Fusion's Chao Editor 2.3 for SADX and SA2B (2016-01-05)

A forum for discussion regarding hacking of the Chao system and editing things with non-standard methods.
Warning! This topic is 4 years and 4 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Fusion's Chao Editor 2.3 for SADX and SA2B (2016-01-05)

Post by Fusion »

Fusion's Chao Editor 2.3
Latest update: Fusion's Chao Editor 2.3 released! (2016-01-05)

This is the main forum thread for discussing Fusion's Chao Editor, a program I made for editing chao on the PC versions of SADX and SA2B.

I have a website where I host my various chao projects, and there is a section just for this program: http://chao.tehfusion.co.uk/chao-editor

You can check there for the full overview, features, screenshots, downloads, updates, and the version history. However, for your convenience, I'll also include some basic information in this thread.

Introduction
Those of you who play SADX PC have probably tried GerbilSoft's SADX PC Memory Editor v2.00 BETA at some point. It works, and provides you with some useful editing abilities. However, it also has a lot of problems. It's built on legacy technology (Visual Basic 6), and as a result it can be very difficult to even get running; for example, you are forced to download a library file and register it through the command line, and aren't given any instructions to do this. It also has few features and a very basic interface. In order to edit your chao, you must select its slot number from a drop-down box, remember to click "Read Chao", change the values, and then remember to click "Write Chao". It is a long and tedious process.

My editor was originally developed to correct the above problems. It has since been extended with a large number of additional features, including support for the Steam releases of SADX and SA2B. It has been developed using the latest modern technology, and runs on the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile. You may already have this useful framework installed, but if not, the setup file will take care of it for you. When you run the program, you should find that it has a very user-friendly interface and is easy to work with. It will read and write changes to your chao data instantly, and provides you with a significant level of control.

Features
For a full list of features, check out the features page on my website. I'll give you a basic summary here, though.

For a start, my program does everything that GerbilSoft's one does (except for things that aren't related to chao), but it also works on SA2B and the Steam version of SADX. It also lets you control the following:
  • Chao ageing speed.
  • Second evolutions.
  • Happiness (the other editor claims to do this, but it's incorrect).
  • Number of reincarnations.
  • Remaining adult lifespan.
  • Personality.
  • Health and sickness.
  • Emotions and actions, such as crying, sleeping, or jumping with joy.
  • Bonds with the different characters.
  • Intelligence and luck stats.
  • Learnt animal behaviours.
  • Learnt classroom skills.
  • Toys.
  • Breed.
  • Medal worn on chest.
  • DNA.
  • Collected animals that are in the gardens.
  • Fruits that are in the gardens.
  • Hats that are in the gardens.
  • Seeds that are in the gardens.
  • The items for sale in the Black Market.
Finally, you can also right-click on any of your chao in the editor to get a special menu. This menu will let you cut, copy, and paste your chao between slots, delete your chao, or create a new egg in the slot. It will also let you export your chao to a .chao file, which can serve as a permanent backup or allow you to share it with your friends! You can also import chao from .chao files into any slot you wish. This way, you don't need to replace your entire garden save file to borrow somebody else's chao. These functions also allow you to transfer chao between SADX and SA2B on the PC.

Screenshots
It's always nice to see what something looks like before you download it, so here are a few screenshots of the program. I'll put them in a spoiler tag to save space. Check out the screenshots page on my website for more.
Spoiler:

System requirements
My program only really has two system requirements.

Operating system: For the greatest user experience, you should be running either Windows Vista or Windows 7. However, you can still use this with Windows XP, as long as you have Service Pack 3 installed. It might not look as good, but it'll work.

.NET Framework: As this program is written for the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile, you will need that installed. It's a small download, far smaller than the full .NET Framework 4.0. If you are using the setup exe (which is recommended), you don't have to worry about it; it'll all be taken care of for you. If you are using the zip archive, you can download the .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile here.

Download
Interested in my program? Want to download it? Just head over to the downloads page on my website. I recommend you choose the setup exe option.

Feedback
Have any opinions? Have any feedback to give me? Found a bug? Just post here or contact me through any other method. It's always possible that there are some bugs; however, I have thoroughly tested it and haven't yet found any. This program will be regularly updated as bugs are reported and fixed, or as new hacking discoveries are made.
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Re: Fusion's SADX PC Chao Editor (Version 1.0, 2011-01-15)

Post by Crazo3077 »

*starts working up suggestions for the next version*
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

Just a warning.

Don't do large upgrades to a chao's stats when you are in the garden it is in. It will make the game lag and crash. Atleast it did for me.

EDIT: Well, you just shouldn't hold it.
Last edited by Maple on Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"stop talking about your dried up fruits."
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Are you talking about my editor, maplestoryxsonic, or is that your experience in general with other editors and/or hacking the game yourself? I haven't noticed any problems like that.
retrolinkx
Veteran Chaos Chao
Veteran Chaos Chao
Motto: I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

Post by retrolinkx »

Hah, that's pretty cool Fusion, I wish I had SA:DX for PC.
Picka and Fox's Partner, Retro's Legend.
Fox Boy wrote:fusion+pie=fusion pie!
Maple
Advanced Chaos Chao
Advanced Chaos Chao

Post by Maple »

Fusion wrote:Are you talking about my editor, maplestoryxsonic, or is that your experience in general with other editors and/or hacking the game yourself? I haven't noticed any problems like that.
I was talking about your specific editor. But I realized it was just because I edited a chao while I was holding it, and I made it from the lowest stats to the highest, and it made it crash.
"stop talking about your dried up fruits."
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Okay. It was difficult, but I was able to reproduce the issue. It seems to happen if you increase the chao's stat level by a fair amount and also increase the chao's stat points by a significant amount, all while the chao's stat window is open. For me, increasing the level from 1 to 30 and the points from 0 to 1000 while holding the chao caused the crash. Using lower values or only changing one setting at a time did not.

It's not really a problem with my editor; it's just the way the game responds to having those values changed like that. When you increase the level of a stat while the stats window is open, it tries to display the transition by filling the bar repeatedly depending on the number of level increases. It seems to break when it encounters an unexpected points value while running that transition effect.

I might add a warning about it to the next version.
Ommy
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by Ommy »

This looks really good. I would try it and give feedback, but I don't have SADX PC D=
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

Aargh! If only my PC was working properly at the moment! I would totally test this out! It looks MUCH better than the other one!

I do like all the new things you can do with the chao, and I love how it's more of a garden editor rather than strictly for chao.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

I'm glad you like the look of it. Fix your PC and try it out!
Chao518
Master Chao
Master Chao

Post by Chao518 »

MUST GET SADX PC
Signature
Drouge
Master Chaos Chao
Master Chaos Chao

Post by Drouge »

Since I'm on a mac, I can't run it, but I did read the readme.
"artifical" is spelled wrong near the end. (or maybe it's one of those words that differ between US and Britan?)

I figured Crazo would be mentioned at one point, he's the main SADXPC user on CI (Well, aside from you during development, of course)

All in all, well done! I will, of course, be installing this the moment our computer gets up and running.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Thanks for pointing out the mistake in the readme file.
naru13
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by naru13 »

I want the pc version now, that's a cool thing you made
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao
Motto: Life wouldn't be so precious if there never was an end.

Post by Tobi »

*Gets excited* Second evolution! Just what I needed! Can't wait to test this :D
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
wic.
Skilled Chaos Chao
Skilled Chaos Chao

Post by wic. »

Time to boot up good ol' SADX PC.

I love you Fusy~^^
Mooncow
Administrator
Administrator
Motto: Cut your path through an uncertain future...

Post by Mooncow »

Fusion has worked hard on this and it has also helped confirm a lot of Chao theories and also some new discoveries. I'm sure we can all be very grateful for Fusion's contribution to the Chao community in general, and this editor is further evidence of what a valuable member Fusion is to Chao Island! Excellent work!
:walkto:
Chao Island Twitch Channel for Chao streaming!: https://twitch.tv/ChaoIsland/
I have dragons as my servants and I have almighty powers.
JmTsHaW: (list of CI users, as Sonic Battle characters) Chaos - Mooncow (He barely appears, Chaos also barely appears.)
(00:45:53) xninjy: ur not old mooncow. old is 50 or 45.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

^Now we can all quote this post to say what we think about it! :D
Quote removed because SOMEONE had to bug like 3 mods at a time over a signature.
Mel Mel
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: a

Post by Mel Mel »

Do we need to have SADX first? Or does that come with SADX?
(12:15:40) Tobi: no, mel only owns young children
(12:15:46) Tobi: in his basement
(12:15:47) Tobi: i mean what

(17:44:45) Dr._Roivas: eevee.......just like......
(17:44:48) Dr._Roivas: what even are you??????
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

Fusion, you program is so damn awesome... I MEAN LOOK AT THIS 8D
Chaos the Light Chao
Shining Chaos Chao
Shining Chaos Chao

Post by Chaos the Light Chao »

Skip entire lives? Increase aging process? Dang. I need Windows and SADX PC.
And, Mel Mel, I believe you need SADX beforehand/afterhand. Including it in the download file would be pirating, I think, and pirating is illegal.
Kudos, Fusion. Nice job! (Even though I can't try it, it looks great)
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Thanks for the nice comments, everybody.
Mel Mel wrote:Do we need to have SADX first? Or does that come with SADX?
You need to install SADX yourself. Including a copy would be illegal, as Chaos the Light Chao correctly stated. It would also significantly increase the size of the download.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

I found a small bug. SADX stops working after trying to buy a pumpkin or skull.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Ah, I see. Thank you. If you change the items for sale while you already have the buy menu open, it'll work fine; this is how I tested those particular items. If you set any of the slots to the Pumpkin or Skull hat while the buy menu is closed, then open it and buy it, the game will crash. For the next version I'll think about whether to remove those items from the drop-down boxes, display a warning message in the help panel, or somehow detect when the buy menu is open.
Tobi
Expert Chaos Chao
Expert Chaos Chao

Post by Tobi »

If I did it while buying, after I returned, everything worked fine, except the pumpkin.