[SADX & SA2B] Chao age and lifespan.

This forum is now locked! Thank you for all your contributions. A new Wiki system for future contributions is being worked on.

(A forum for those who are able to contribute information for the main website, and help the website become the #1 source for Chao!)
Warning! This topic is 9 years and 10 months old! Please consider opening a new topic rather that bumping up this very old post.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

[SADX & SA2B] Chao age and lifespan.

Post by Fusion »

Here is some information about chao lifespan. This will be going on the main website very soon, where it will be explained more clearly and in-depth. I found this from hacking SADX PC, but I think it's safe to say it probably applies to SADX (GC, PS3, Xbox 360) and SA2B (GC) as well, since they all use pretty much the same chao system.

Introduction

There are three (actually more, but this is all I'll talk about today) known variables relevant to a chao's age and lifespan:
  • RemainingLife1 - The remaining adult life time.
  • RemainingLife2 - The remaining adult life time (bonus).
  • EvolutionStrength - The strength of the current gradual evolution, either as a child or as an adult.
Here are some general (important) notes about these variables:
  • RemainingLife1 cannot increase beyond RemainingLife2; if it does, it will be capped at RemainingLife2.
  • RemainingLife2 (and consequently, RemainingLife1) cannot increase beyond 9999.
  • An adult chao dies when RemainingLife1 or RemainingLife2 reaches 0.
  • Only RemainingLife2 seems to be important, so for simplicity you might want to forget that RemainingLife1 exists.
  • EvolutionStrength cannot increase beyond 1.2.
Child chao:

A child chao starts with its RemainingLife1 and RemainingLife2 variables set to the same value. I'm not yet fully sure how this is determined, but there seems to be an element of randomness to it. I can say the following:
  • It should always be equal to or greater than 3000.
  • My six starter chao started off with values of 3800, 3700, 3800, 3600, and 3800.
  • After reincarnating, it generally seems to get set back to its original starting value from its first life; although in certain circumstances, it could take a higher value than it did before.
  • Mating my first two chao, who had starting life values of 3800 and 3700, created a new egg with a life value of 3300.
A child chao begins with EvolutionStrength set to 0. When EvolutionStrength reaches 1, it will evolve according to its current gradual evolution. For more information on that, see my evolution requirements thread.

The RemainingLife1, RemainingLife2, and EvolutionStrength values can be increased in the following ways for a child chao:
  • Each bite of any fruit adds 3 to RemainingLife1.
  • Each bite of any fruit adds 5 to RemainingLife2.
  • Each bite of any fruit adds 0.005 to EvolutionStrength.
  • Every few minutes, EvolutionStrength increases by 0.01666667.
Adult chao:

The following information does not necessarily apply to special chao, such as Chaos Chao.

When a chao evolves, its EvolutionStrength gets reset back to 0. This is why you don't see it having any second evolution right away. You need to again go through the same process of giving your chao animals or Chaos Drives to give it the gradual evolution that you desire, and waiting for it to take effect.

These values can be increased in the following ways for an adult chao:
  • Each bite of any fruit adds 0.00125 to EvolutionStrength.
  • Every few minutes, RemainingLife2 decreases by 6 or 7.
  • Every few minutes, EvolutionStrength increases by 0.00416667.
Summary:

What does all this mean? Can anything useful be obtained from this data? Sure:
  • Feeding fruit to a child chao will prolong its adult life.
  • Feeding fruit to a child chao will make it evolve quicker (which shortens its total life, in a way).
  • Feeding fruit to an adult chao will speed up its second evolution, but not lengthen or shorten its life.
  • Each bite of a fruit should increase a child chao's total life by roughly 2 minutes.
  • Each bite of a fruit for a child chao should save you roughly 1 minute towards its first evolution (0.5%).
  • Each bite of a fruit for an adult chao should save you roughly 1 minute towards its second evolution (0.1%).
  • Each complete fruit (four bites) should increase a child chao's total life by roughly 9 minutes.
  • Each complete fruit (four bites) for a child chao should save you roughly 3.5 minutes towards its first evolution (2%).
  • Each complete fruit (four bites) for an adult chao should save you roughly 3.5 minutes towards its second evolution (0.4%).
  • It should take roughly 3 hours for a child chao to evolve, if it doesn't get fed at all.
  • It should take roughly 12 hours for an adult chao to get its EvolutionStrength to 1.0, if it doesn't get fed at all.
  • It should take roughly 14.5 hours for an adult chao to fully max out its second evolution with an EvolutionStrength of 1.2, if it doesn't get fed at all.
  • It should take roughly 29 hours for an adult chao to die, assuming it starts off with life values of 4000.
Let me know if those above calculations (how long it should take for things to happen) sound wrong to any of you.
TeamAZ
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Re: [SADX & SA2B] Chao age and lifespan.

Post by TeamAZ »

Its helpful! :darkhappy: :darkhappy: :darkhappy:
Every time I bring a girl home, you try to eat her! Its not fair!
Nirvana
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Booty butt cheeks! booty booty butt cheeks!

Post by Nirvana »

Oh, it did seem like though all my chao lived to be five, some seemed to live longer than others. Hmm, makes sense now. :D
TeamAZ
Brave Chao
Brave Chao

Post by TeamAZ »

My Chao has like a level 12 stamina and yet still takes about 2 hours to evolve!
This is a baby...
Every time I bring a girl home, you try to eat her! Its not fair!
Lunasphere
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Lunasphere »

This is pretty good info. My Chao Max was the first to evolve because he was a big eater and required food all the time, therefore making it quicker to evolve. He's a Hero Swim now. :wink:
In order to go to the Chaos Chao Garden you must: Reincarnate at least 2 times, hug 21 different animals, think good, bad, or normal thoughts, then after you grow into adulthood, go to the Hero Garden, stand in the middle of the fountain, and jump. You'll enter the Chaos Chao Garden and hang with me, and any other Chaos Chao.
Nintendawg
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: "With a big enough lever, I can move the world."
Location: My soul's in the 7th dimension, but my body is in Southern California.

Post by Nintendawg »

So THATS way 2 chao born at nearly exactly the same time but reincarnated like 1 hour difference from eachother. (Non-fed)
Text my cell phone: 661-874-7568
Dropped by on March 21st, 2017 for nonstalgia's sake lmao.
Visited again on March 25th, 2021. Old friends...hope you are well.
Once more stopping by on January 17th, 2022.
Another visit on October 8th, 2023!
Blur
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao
Motto: Up My Sleeve

Post by Blur »

I didn't know that they get a little extra time. No wonder It took so much time for my chao to reincarnate.
GOLF WANG.
Metalsonic3
Quester Chao
Quester Chao

Post by Metalsonic3 »

Does attacking a chao affect these lifespan values in any way? :thinking:
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

No, I don't think it does.
NixMaster
Junior Chao
Junior Chao

Post by NixMaster »

Well, I wouldn't expect it would help any. If you attack them too much, they die don't they? Do the chao still have health points in the GC/PC games?

((Whoops! I forgot to check how long it was since the last post. Well, this isn't too bad of a necropost, is it? It's still the same year, at least.))
Crazo3077
Mystical Chaos Chao
Mystical Chaos Chao
Motto: xP

Post by Crazo3077 »

Contribution topics work different from others. You can always revive old ones if they pertain to the topic at hand.

Dreamcast Chao work on a different system, one of which would be this health point system you're talking about. Chao don't die until they have reached enough years on Gamecube and PC. Dreamcast Chao were easier to kill in that sense, though I think this was a Sonic Adventure specific feature because Sonic Adventure 2 behaves a lot like the Gamecube version.
Avatar Art by chocohugs; Signature by Tsui
NoobSlayer13
Veteran Chao
Veteran Chao

Post by NoobSlayer13 »

Why did one chao of mine live to be 7 while the others only lived to 5?
durp.
cab114
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by cab114 »

so geeze, 5 fruits for an adult chao only is 2% more torwards evolution...? :cry: well, time to buy a ton of seeds. :chaocry:
He is, and always will be, the fastest thing alive.
Tayrtahn
Youth Chao
Youth Chao

Post by Tayrtahn »

cab114 wrote:so geeze, 5 fruits for an adult chao only is 2% more torwards evolution...? :cry: well, time to buy a ton of seeds. :chaocry:
Before you do that, please note:
Every few minutes, EvolutionStrength increases by 0.00416667.
Fruits speed up the evolution process, but most of the progress will occur naturally over time.
Sonicheart
Evolved Chao
Evolved Chao

Post by Sonicheart »

NoobSlayer13 wrote:Why did one chao of mine live to be 7 while the others only lived to 5?
Probably because you nurtured that chao more than others. I read on this website that caring for your chao will make them age slower, and I think that's true. I treat my chao very well, and so far the oldest one is 2 years old.
Mayo
Chao Expert
Chao Expert
Motto: Hey hey! This is SapphireChao

Post by Mayo »

Doesn't lifespan lengthen or shorten according to its happiness level? Abused Chao tend to have shorter lives don't they?
Unless happiness is only a factor to decide whether or not a Chao will reincarnate or die at the end of its life, could you clarify if these variables take part in a Chao's lifespan?
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

I have not seen happiness or abuse make any difference to a chao's lifespan.
TheDarkness73
Egg
Egg

Post by TheDarkness73 »

What did you use to find this? What console codes or whatever you call them? Is there anywhere that has a list of them and how to use them like access the console or anything?
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

TheDarkness73 wrote:What console codes or whatever you call them?
I didn't use any codes or console commands to do this.
TheDarkness73 wrote:What did you use to find this?
I found out this information through the following methods: Most of this was done using the PC version of Sonic Adventure DX, but I have also applied similar methods to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle within the Dolphin emulator.
TheDarkness73 wrote:Is there anywhere that has a list of them and how to use them like access the console or anything?
We will have hacking information up on Chao Island in the future.
TheDarkness73
Egg
Egg

Post by TheDarkness73 »

Okay, I'm kind of new to this, and tried to find how to access the assemble code, but couldn't, so how do you access it? And I understand that the text on the right in those pages are the code, but whats the random letters to the right of them?
Papoose
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Papoose »

I don't really get what is EvolutionStrength for. Does it have something to do with a Chao's life time at all?
Chao are awesome. Period.
Fusion
VIP
VIP

Post by Fusion »

Evolution strength determines how visible the gradual evolution is, and it's also used to decide when a child chao should evolve. It increases over time, and resets when a chao evolves or reincarnates.

The Swim ↔ Fly and Run ↔ Power values represent the chao's gradual evolution type, but not the strength of that evolution.
Canpaw
Brave Chao
Brave Chao
Motto: I just ate dinner for breakfast!

Post by Canpaw »

VERY SORRY FOR THE BUMP. But this information might be very useful for the thread.

FRUIT AND EVOLUTIONSTRENGTH:

ADULT CHAO:
(SECOND EVOLUTION)
Requires 800 bites, so 200 whole fruits.

CHILD CHAO:
(FIRST EVOLUTION)
Requires 240 bites, so 60 whole fruits.

Also don't forget the "EvolutionStrength" minutes part, so it would take about 55 whole fruits and 150 whole fruits for Evolutionstrength to reach 1.
a
Chaotastic
Adept Chao
Adept Chao

Post by Chaotastic »

The rate at which RemainingLife2 decreases keeps increasing as the chao grows older. It starts decreasing at a rate of 6 every few minutes when a chao's adult life begins, and can reach a decrease rate of up to 25 every few minutes near the end of a chao's life. The decrease rate may even go higher, I've only tested this with RemainingLife starting values between 3,000-4,000 with the chao editor.
~ Light the world on fire, just to watch it burn. ~
Bobb11881
Adult Chao
Adult Chao

Post by Bobb11881 »

Fusion wrote:
  • RemainingLife1 cannot increase beyond RemainingLife2; if it does, it will be capped at RemainingLife2.
    • Each bite of any fruit adds 5 to RemainingLife2.
        • Every few minutes, RemainingLife2 decreases by 6 or 7.
What does "capped" mean here? Because it looks like RL1 will always increase beyond RL2 for the adult life. Will it go down at all afterwards? Or will you not be able to prolong the Chao's life anymore? The main site also says that a Chao's happiness makes it age slower. Does that mean that the RL variables decrease slower or there's a longer time period before it decreases again, does it mean that a Chao year takes longer, or is it false? Someone help me here.